Thread: Somekind of scrub plane??

Somekind of scrub plane??

I was sent this pic of some planes being sold. The plane on the left looks to be scrub of some type. Does anyone have any ideas as to the maker and if in fact it is a scrub.

Thanks MIke
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't help much, but I can speculate for hours

Not a great picture - I can't tell how open the throat is.

It's not necessarily a scrub. The iron seems kind of wide for a scrub, and it looks like it's at a lower angle than 45 degrees, which I believe would NOT contribute to effective scrub work. It might be some offbeat plane; if so, probably a low ball plane.

Can you ask the seller if there are any visible markings on the body or the iron?

The smoother next to it looks, from the little bit of the lateral adjuster lever I can see, to be a Sargent - a respectable plane. The block plane is, of course, one of Stanley's lesser efforts - suitable for cleanup of wood trim when you're repainting, loaning to neighbors who ask to borrow a plane, or throwing at raccoons or possums who stick their heads in the shop door when you're working at night (note: not recommended if the varmint is a skunk).

I'm not sure but I think the first one is a bevel up plane of some sort... probably a smoother?!?! As for the other one I think Bill is right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Can you ask the seller if there are any visible markings on the body or the iron?

The smoother next to it looks, from the little bit of the lateral adjuster lever I can see, to be a Sargent - a respectable plane. The block plane is, of course, one of Stanley's lesser efforts - suitable for cleanup of wood trim when you're repainting, loaning to neighbors who ask to borrow a plane, or throwing at raccoons or possums who stick their heads in the shop door when you're working at night (note: not recommended if the varmint is a skunk).
    Here is the original picture. I asked the guy to look at the body and blade for any markings. He couldn't find any so set me the pic I first posted.

I was more curious than anything, put after your suggestions regarding uses for the Stanley block I may make an offer. I do have a neighbor that stumbles into my shop usually after a long night of drinking. Which in itself is tolerable, but all the unsolicited advice, "I love you man"s and beer farts are getting old.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mike marconi View Post
    Here is the original picture. I asked the guy to look at the body and blade for any markings. He couldn't find any so set me the pic I first posted.

I was more curious than anything, put after your suggestions regarding uses for the Stanley block I may make an offer. I do have a neighbor that stumbles into my shop usually after a long night of drinking. Which in itself is tolerable, but all the unsolicited advice, "I love you man"s and beer farts are getting old.

Mike
    That's an intriguingly mixed assortment of stuff. Might be worth a small bid just to see what you get out of it, unless your budget is tight enough that you need to spend only on sure things. The No. 4 (or is it a No. 3?) smoother looks to be a decent tool. The plane you asked about originally might be one that could be made into a scrub - file the mouth open and grind a big camber on the iron. Lots of folks have done that with small smoothers. But I'd research it a bit, to see if you have some collectible plane first.

So, were you planning to loan the block plane to your neighbor or throw it at him?

Mike....scrubs normally are narrower than #4's (the plane at the right), 1 3/4" ~ 1 7/8" wide, it's easy to recognize them. however both planes can be transformed into scrubs, just by opening the throat and cambering the blades.

Quote Originally Posted by mike marconi View Post

Mike
    Some of those tools are quite old - at least very early 20th century, if not 19th century. It's hard to tell from the small picture, but it looks like there's a paint pigment mill in there, a reaping sickle, a hand-cranked bench grinder, etc... Heck, if the cresent wrenches are original Cresents, that's a find. They're far better than today's stuff, and will last forever.

I mention this because the "scrub plane" could well be a Stanley modified into a door stop, but it's also very remotely possible that it's something like a Steer's patent, which is a very valuable plane.