Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Stanley Premium Planes

Lets be careful please

So far, things have been good on this thread, but over the years there has been a tendency for threads which get into the subject of country of origin to become political. Jut a gentle reminder that politics are a forbidden topic here on the Creek.

Thanks folks.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

There is a way to fix up ugly planes that always works: You use a plane jack. Jack up the ugly plane,and put a nice plane underneath it .

Or just skip the ugly plane and start with the one you want! I really can't see these planes working better than the LN or LV and they are only a little cheaper. Wood River may have hit a niche, but I think Stanley missed the mark. I will be interested to hear a report back when someone has actually used one though. So, anyone tried one yet?

Put 2 bags over the ugly plane in case one tears while you are using it! Or,put a flag over it and plane for old glory. Anyone who hasn't heard those,please excuse yourself and get back to school,please!!.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Put 2 bags over the ugly plane in case one tears while you are using it! Or,put a flag over it and plane for old glory. Anyone who hasn't heard those,please excuse yourself and get back to school,please!!.

George: At my school we were also taught to have a close friend with a third bag standing nearby, just in case.... <GR>!!

-Jerry

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Raymond View Post
    Or just skip the ugly plane and start with the one you want! I really can't see these planes working better than the LN or LV and they are only a little cheaper. Wood River may have hit a niche, but I think Stanley missed the mark. I will be interested to hear a report back when someone has actually used one though. So, anyone tried one yet?
    Yes. And I think you are right on the mark here.

Obviously a VERY close friend,Jerry!!

A note on prices

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I got my set if 12 Pfiel small size carving tools for $24.00.
    Just remember, George, that in 1964, the minimum wage was $1.65, and gasoline was going for a quarter a gallon. I bet that $24 felt like big money back then.

Stanley: too late for Rube Goldberg

This plane is a dog. How anyone that took a look at the LN or LV stuff could buy this "johnnie come lately" handplane makes no sense to me. If you are willing to pay 179 for that-- I think we should consider bringing back the corvair.. GM could work something out ... maybe.