Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Template for shop-made push stick?

Template for shop-made push stick?

Anybody know of a pattern or template online for making a push stick out of 3/4" stock? I'm partial to the "shoe"-shaped variety.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason White; 05-26-2009 at 6:26 PM.

Pull up a SawStop manual. In the back of the manual is a template. Print it out and adhere it to 1/2" ply, or what ever, and cut it out. I "built" one and it is very comfortable. Hope this helps.

I have bought a bunch of different push devices and when I got this one a few months ago that was it. Now I have made a template from it and will just make my own with this one gets to cut up to use.

It is the best one I have found, it put good down pressure on the wood and is balanced in the hand to use. It also has a open center so you can take it right over a blade for cutting stuff less then 1 inch wide.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=push%20stick

The best pushers I have are copies of handsaw handles. I make them out of 3/4" MDF. Just draw the outline of the handle on the MDF and cut it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    The best pushers I have are copies of handsaw handles. I make them out of 3/4" MDF. Just draw the outline of the handle on the MDF and cut it out.
    I just made one today

I took onw of my favourite hand saws held it in a comfortable position next to the table saw and then traced mine on to some 3/4 ply

next ones I may use something better than c/d grade ply

yours look better than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I like those. Well done.

So here's what I came up with (pictures)...

Just took the plastic push-stick that felt the most comfortable and traced it onto a piece of 3/4" plywood. Then I rounded the shape a bit, cut it out with a jigsaw and rounded over the edges with my router.

Came out great!

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good Jason. I will soon have to make a couple up for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    So here's what I came up with (pictures)...

Just took the plastic push-stick that felt the most comfortable and traced it onto a piece of 3/4" plywood. Then I rounded the shape a bit, cut it out with a jigsaw and rounded over the edges with my router.

Came out great!

Jason
    Jason, if you like that push stick then go get one of these, they have a 10 times better feel. I had one just like yours until I found the others.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=push%20stick

Blog Entries
    The thing I like about Bill's if that the hand is forward and allows ease of downward as well as forward pressure. I'll try to find a pic of mine but it's the same basic idea. Pushing from behind or from the end of a long stick never felt right to me.

I have a pair of Grr-Rippers that are my do-all push blocks. They do have issues when an overarm hood or a narrow piece with a featherboard are desired. For this situation, a narrow helper is just what the doctor ordered.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Anybody know of a pattern or template online for making a push stick out of 3/4" stock? I'm partial to the "shoe"-shaped variety.

Jason
    Best one is that hunk of wood I see on the scrap pile right there.
    REACH yah this is perfect just like it is.

Jason,

Keep a look out for a gripper on sale. I bought one from rockler a few months back for I think it was $39. I wish I would have bought 2. They are really nice and can be used at the router table, the jointer, table saw, and in the bedroom. Ok maybe not the last but they really do work nice. Like you I made a few different types that work nice, but since I bought the gripper that is all I use if it will work.

Has anyone seen these, they look good.

http://www.tablesawpushstick.com/

Pushstick Safety.jpg

I could make 50 of them out of plywood for what that thing costs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Has anyone seen these, they look good.

http://www.tablesawpushstick.com/

Pushstick Safety.jpg

Here is my favorite from an old poster on wreck.norm,

http://www.whipplesargent.com/whipjig5.pdf

David.