Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need a answer to the use of armor all

Dan,

Have you tried using Armour All? It only takes one engraving pass to get perfectly white text and graphics, it couldn't be any simpler.

Blog Entries

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    That's close to what I use for LaserSketch Marble - Not good stuff at all - likely not real marble (my 2 cents). It's very soft and does not laser white. It works for plaques, but not well for photographs.

For real marble I use 15 speed & 100 power
    Granite I use 100 speed & 33 power

I never use PhotoGrav anymore.
    Well here's today's adventure...i have to agree with tim on the lasersketch marble, except mine was bought in canada (company selling for lasersketch). Everyone says to engrave marble at high power and low (er) speed.It was good at removing the surface but no pic....lower the power...increase the speed....pic ...but it's grey not white. Then i tryed a couple of the fool proof tests...battery acid and then lemon juice...nothing...no etching at all, so if i have this right it's NOT marble thou i bought it as marble. I'll have to make a phone call tomorrow. So if that is the case where in the beep beep do i buy REAL marble from...in the sizes of pic's. ie: 4x6 8x10 etc. that i need, or could this have been a "bad bunch", a little mix up. I hate being in a spot whereas i can't do the job at task. There is one... and the last test, and that would be have someone prepare the picture for me but thats asking to much it think but just in case there is someone kind enough...i can e-mail you the pic and then compare your results to mine...i don't want you to laser the pic only process it, either with or without photograv. My laser is epilog mini 45w and i'm using coreldrawx3 and the thing that really gets me is the person for whom needs this done has seen the "white " marble engravings and doesn't like the grey...go figure...anyway thanks again and this is the last time with this subject for sure ...dale

Dale I'm pretty sure I know where you got your lasersketch marble.. I use this quite often, and do get good results, you just have to know what to expect.. The first time I ran it, I called them up and said they shipped me granite in error, they immediately shipped me another piece, But it was exactly the same as the first piece. Not real marble. To do this stuff right, you have to boost your speed way up.. I use 75% power, 100 speed @ 600 dpi on my 35-45 watt TT But you 'do' have to whiten it, and you do have to use photograv or similar. It will not take a halftone like marble will. I guess that's why they also sell the Vanson white ink. I use Winton titanium white oil paint applied with a squeegee.. I have not found a Canadian source for real black marble, but have adapted to working with the other stuff, and whitening it as needed.. The Big fish piece I posted a while ago was done on the lasersketch marble.. Once your set up for it, it seems to work quite nice.. Although real marble is better.. this is real marble, the brown stuff from H.D. no whitening needed.. This is 12x12, and the little photos in the corners are only about 1.5" across but look like 'real' b/w prints, and were done with the laser driver only no photograv
    Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 06-02-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Dan,

Have you tried using Armour All? It only takes one engraving pass to get perfectly white text and graphics, it couldn't be any simpler.
    Yep... I'll usually let it sit overnight, then wipe it off. I also tried the Mr. Miyagi way (wipe on, wipe off), but no difference. Maybe those LEDs are just making me more blind than I realized...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Armour all, Color fill then what?

Well I picked up the Granite from HD, Applied the Armour All, Engraved, Color filled all the letters with titanium oil base paint. This plaque will be put on a Bolder out side for a local College. What would be the best thing to seal it with? I know it has been covered many times but Will the sealer work on top of the Titanium paint? What about the Armour All can sealer be applied on top of it?

Thanks
    Stanley
    LaserPro Sprit 30 Watt...Corel X5..PhotoGrav 3.0

For Granite, I don't use Armor All, I use a stone sealer. Armor All is more for marble.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Waldrup View Post
    Well I picked up the Granite from HD, Applied the Armour All, Engraved, Color filled all the letters with titanium oil base paint. This plaque will be put on a Bolder out side for a local College. What would be the best thing to seal it with? I know it has been covered many times but Will the sealer work on top of the Titanium paint? What about the Armour All can sealer be applied on top of it?

Thanks
    Stanley
    Stanley,

I would offer one caution, if you don't know what may have been used on a stone before, be careful with some sealers. Most topical treatments applied to stone won't interact, but there is no guarantee. Always test a small, inconspicuous area, or another tile from the same supplier.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Thanks Belinda,
    I guess what I after is will other sealers work on top of the armour all. I hate to cut another tile but I do want it to last. Can a sealer be applied over top of the oil base titanium.. So much to learn..
    Stanley

Stone sealers need to soak into the pours of the stone. If it already has some type of oily base, I doubt the sealer will have any effect.
    When buying a stone sealer, avoid sealers with wax in them.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Once the oil paint has dried (somewhat.. 2-3 days.. Real dry can take months ).. I use a good polymer car polish , wipe it on, let if fog over, then polish it off.. If it protects a car on the road for a year from salt, dirt etc.. It will also work for a stationary rock..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Now that make since

Thanks Bill.. I'll look into that.. The plaque will be at the local School. I can sneek over and put a coat on a couple of times a year....
    Stanley

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Waldrup View Post
    Thanks Belinda,
    I guess what I after is will other sealers work on top of the armour all. I hate to cut another tile but I do want it to last. Can a sealer be applied over top of the oil base titanium.. So much to learn..
    Stanley
    Sorry Stanley, I somehow overlooked this post.

The surface of stone is very much like the surface of your skin. If you already have something lotion on your hand, you can apply more, but the skin can only absorb so much. I don't know if sealer can be applied over Amour All as I've never tried it. Likewise I don't know if sealer can be applied over the top of oil base titanium. I do advise customers not to use a sealer if they don't know what has previously been applied to the stone. Also, as Tim said, no wax based sealers. I think I mentioned that earlier.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra