Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rocking chairs

rocking chairs

I have these two very demanding clients who wanted rocking chairs. I was able to complete them before their birthdays. As you can see they are now very happy with their chairs. They are are made with 1/2" cherry plywood. The engraved names were done by fellow creeker Tim Bateson of Liberty Laser.

thanks for looking

Mike

Very clever execution on the chairs with the ply and sturdy enough for very precious cargo. Enjoy them now... they'll be teen-agers very shortly and well.... I'll let you figure out the rest as you will soon enough.

Sarge..

Neat - You don't have the plans available do you?
    ken

Those rockers are really neat. Those two little girls look pretty special, too.

Mine are 17 and 14...enjoy yours while they're little because I know just what John meant.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Looks like you have happy customers! Nice job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Those are wonderful. What a happy pair of clients. Do you have a source for the plans?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the kind words. I do not have any plans. The way I came up with this was I was home in Jersey visiting my parents when my mom found a beat up kids rocker a neighbor was throwing out. I took it home and made a template from the throw away. I can make another template and mail it to someone who wants it then they could pass it on. I know three people already have asked for the plans. Maybe we can work with the cnc people to make a template from mine.

Hey Mike, really neat project! And, some very cute customers.

What about taking some brown paper and drawing a grid on it - say 4" - and tracing the pieces on the grid or taking pics on the grid? Then we could all have access to the design by doing our own set of templates. That is, if you don't mind the world stealing your work

"Thanks for the kind words. I do not have any plans. The way I came up with this was I was home in Jersey visiting my parents when my mom found a beat up kids rocker a neighbor was throwing out. I took it home and made a template from the throw away. I can make another template and mail it to someone who wants it then they could pass it on. I know three people already have asked for the plans. Maybe we can work with the cnc people to make a template from mine."
    As someone that gets constantly asked to make kid's furniture, my observation is that you have a very saleable idea and design. It may well be worth your while to get these professionally drawn up in CAD (if you're not a CAD person) with a copyright notice, and then either sell the design or the chairs. They're quite a few woodworkers that have made considerable extra $$ by selling designs to major furniture manufacturers.

Most importantly, you've designed something that can be rapidly cut out of plywood sheets by CNC machines, and could be assembled by consumers. Manufacturers love that sort of stuff!

David

I am not in it to make any money just to help others out. I did not make the original design. I found the original chair some one was throwing out. The original was made with MDF I just used it as the original template. I like John's idea about putting it on paper to pass around but not sure how to shrink it to scan it in.

ken

Really cool concept. My son would love that. I would be interested in getting plans also. I would gladly mail the template on the next person.

rocking chair plans

I had a lot of requests for plans for these rocking chairs. While I do not have actual plans as all I had was a template from a chair I found. I put the templates on 1/2" graph paper and took pictures of them. I believe if you print it out and enlarge it so the squares are 1/2 inch you can make your own templates from these. If any one has any questions let me know

Mike, your efforts are much appreciated. I hope others realize the work you have put into these gridded templates. This should make it a breeze for anyone wanting to do these chairs. THANKS

Ditto - Thanks!
    ken