Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF Multi-function tool tested

HF Multi-function tool tested

7 weeks ago I bought one of the HarborFreight multifunction tools meant to be a clone of the Fein multi. I waited till now to say anything about it until I gave it some fair run time. To date, I have about 4 hours of actual run time with it.

When I bought this one it was on sale and I used a 15% coupon too. Total cost was $27.60 (tax included).

I must say I have been pleasantly surprised. I can tell it has a lot less oscillations compared to a Fein I have used but it sure does any task at hand I've thrown at it. I've used it for various repairs around the house as well as a some applications is the shop.

It comes with a scraper, sanding pad, saw blade and cutting disc. It also included a set of replacement brushes should you need any in the future.

I must say I'm very pleased with it so far - especially for the price. Even if it tanks later, I can still buy 2 more and still be well below the cost of the Dremel unit. I could probably buy 10 of these for the cost of the original Fein.

I can't imagine I would use one enough to justify buying one of "higher quality". My brother-in-law has been using it beyond my 4 hours as well. He said he is going to go get one also.

Bottom line - if you need one for occasional use, I think it is a good option.
    Kev
    Last edited by Kev Godwin; 05-28-2009 at 1:15 AM. Reason: missing word

The Fein does 21000 opm. I'd think a cheap unit wouldn't last very long. But,you have to pay the toll for the Fein.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The Fein does 21000 opm. I'd think a cheap unit wouldn't last very long. But,you have to pay the toll for the Fein.

I guess only time will tell.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Hello,
    When I bought this one it was on sale and I used a 15% coupon too. Total cost was $27.60 (tax included).
    Cheapest I've seen one on sale is $39.00.
    That's a heck of a good price on a normally $59.00 item.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've used one in a big (for me ) project at my parents house. Had to tear out a water damaged floor in the bathroom.Then we laid maple laminate hardwood flooring there and in the adjoining Kitchen and Pantry.

I haven't logged how many hours we've put on the unit, but it's been worked hard. I can't begin to enumerate how many spots we used it to cut away crap we couldn't reach with anything else.

Other than breaking the first cutting blade (and that was operator error) the only problem we've had is the availability or blades from HF. Ended up buying a second unit just for the blade and ordering two sets from their website (took several weeks!).

Kind of hate to give kudos to HF, but I think that's the best $39 I've ever spent on a tool. I'm sure the Fein and Sonic Crafter are probably better, if so, they must be an absolute dream to use!

Haven't tried it for detail sanding yet...

The Feins are very smooth to use. I have made my own blades out of 1095 blue spring steel,but you have to be a machinist to do it. I made a scraper blade also by brazing a piece of carbide 1 1/2" wide on the edge of a blue steel scraper. That thing will even cut into steel when you are scraping paint off of a sheet metal machine housing ! Have to be careful!! You cannot buy that scraper. I hate paying the prices for those saw blades. Any of the stainless steel saws or scrapers are worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,

Cheapest I've seen one on sale is $39.00.
    That's a heck of a good price on a normally $59.00 item.
    Rich
    My local HF had it on sale for $29. Take off 15% and add back on tax = really cheap!
    Kev

Hi guys, I don't mean to pull up an old thread, but I've been interested in the Fein tool since I saw it on the TV. The amount of work it does, it seems amazing!

I've recently found the similar tool at HF also, and the reviews up top are fantastic! I may end up getting one since it seems to do the "little" jobs that I'll be ending up doing any how.
    By no means am I any type of home renovator or contractor person, but I have little jobs here and there around the house, like cutting "thin" woods and some sanding jobs.

However, I'm wondering how well of a tool this will be for grinding? Say, if a nut or bolt was rounded off, would it be able to cut or grind the nut off? Sorry, I have no idea on how to give the size of the bolt/nut, but the bolt is about 1/4" in diameter. Thanks!

I've got the HF multifunction tool. It works great, but I can't imagine grinding anything with it, think you're looking at an angle grinder for that.

I was surprised to see this post back when I logged on.

Since my original post I estimate we have about 14 or 15 hours of actual run-time on mine. Still doing very well.

It won't work well for grinding but it can easily cut off small bolts with the proper cutter installed.

I hope I have as good of luck with the HF 12 inch disc sander now on sale for $100. I picked one up this last week and used the 20% off coupon. Got it for $85.60 (tax included).
    Kev

Hello all. This is my first post to this forum. I am interested in one of those tools also. I saw the Fein on TV and it looked fantastic, then I saw the Harbor Freight version of it and didn't give it a second thought.........until now. So you say it's a decent tool?? Cause I've really seen some uses I would have had for it. Now I may get one. I've seen it on sale a lot, and I get coupons in my Field & Stream magazines all the time so it might be my next tool purchase now.

I'm looking forward to reading here and learning more about wood working. I worked in the field of home improvements for the last 5 years so I have a working knowledge of a lot of tools, and have dabbled in wood working some in the past as well. Now I'd like to make it a full time hobby.

That settles it for me. I'm going to get one, now. I also have the coupon. This isn't a tool that I'll use often so if it performs as described in the previous posts in this thread, it'll be perfect for my limited needs.

It's beginning to sound as if this tool may be one of the HF "gems" that have been discussed in many previous threads. Indeed, many of us are well pleased with some of the HF tools that we've purchased. That doesn't mean that I'm going to buy a major shop machine from HF. But, I've learned not to to snub my nose at everything that they sell.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I picked one up a while ago to use for removing the grout from the tub surround tile. I didn't want to ruin a $3-400 tool with the dust and grit from the grout. The HF model worked well. I have not used a Fein, but the HF version did what it was supposed to do - a lot better than doing it by hand!

FWIW,
    Wes

Hello,
    I'm going to also jump on the "HF gem" bandwagon here.
    I bought one for $32.00 (on sale - $39.00 and used a 20% off coupon) a few weeks ago.
    I had to remove a whole wall of cork panels which had been glued up for decades. The HF unit worked well.
    I must have a good 20 hours of hard use on mine on th ecork wall alone.

I also have a Dremel.
    While the Dremel is a bit more refined & has better blades, the HF unit has a more solid feel & also a little more depth of cut capcity.
    The HF unit has a 2" blade, where the Dremel is less than an inch and a half.

HF, according to the their clerk at the Birmingham-AL, has a grout removal blade, but didn't have any currently in the store. They gave me a part number (which is at home) but I never found it on the web site. The ~$30 Dremel multi-max blade from Home Depot will fit and works great.

Only problem I've had with the tool itself, in the first one we had (later bought another just to get one of the blades, the store was back ordered on them) one of the wires came loose on a motor brush. I think I can probably fix that, but the tool comes with a spare set of brushes, so no big deal.

It would be nice if HF stocked a good assortment of blades for this thing. I think Fein blades would work, but they are priced to the same scale as their tool. Dremel blades work. I haven't tried them, but I'm not sure than the Rockwell Sonicrafter blades would work.

Biggest bad points I can see with the HF unit (other than it's from HF).

1. It's single speed
    2. That single speed is slower than all the other knock-offs I've seen
    3. Blade availability at HF
    4. The motor brushes are a little delicate

Biggest good points

1. It's so cheap you can buy several and just throw them away when they die
    2. They work. If the Fein (or the others) work better, they must be incredible!
    3. It may be the exception to the extended warranty rule. Usually those things are not worth the money, but catch the HF on sale and the whole thing with a multi-year replacement warranty comes in around $50. Buy two and never worry about down time.

I saw a blurb in the latest issue of Wood mag that Craftsman is coming out with a 12 volt cordless clone. Not sure I'd give the tool the time of day, but if the blades fit, Sears could be a handy source.