Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HF Multi-function tool tested

I purchased one of these HF multi-use tools around Christmas, for about $80. Even given this much higher price, I'd still say that the tool was well worth it, since it does a great job of making otherwise very difficult tasks easy.

I did notice two problems with my unit, though. First, it runs very hot, and can burn wood or your hands if you're not careful. I've experienced this heat even when I don't put the unit under load, simply turning it on for a minute or two. Second, I've found that the nut holding the blade won't tighten enough to keep the blades from loosening after a few minutes of use. I don't consider this loosening to be dangerous, and it probably wouldn't damage the workpiece, but the constant re-tightening becomes quickly annoying.

Has anyone else experienced these issues, or have I purchased a defective unit?

Despite these problems, for the odd jobs that I needed the tool for (I cut through my hardwood floors to add flush hardwood thresholds between rooms), the tool worked splendidly.

I put a good bit of "moxi" on the Allen wrench when I tighten the blade. When I don't, I've seen the blade loosen just as you describe.

I've also noticed the unit runs a little warm. Nothing to compare it to, so I didn't think much of it.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 08-24-2009 at 1:46 PM. Reason: typo

Likewise, only I use a back up wrench when tightening the blades on. It has performed very well for the jobs I purchased it for. On a whim I even used it to cut the sides of a deep mortise. The heat is not a problem, just extended periods of use might make it go poof.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    The heat is not a problem, just extended periods of use might make it go poof.
    Isn't that what the extra set of brushes are for?

I was referring to the gear box head.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I bought one of the HF tools a few months back when they had them on sale plus a coupon -- got it for under $30.00. I purchased it to see if it would undercut some baseboard and trim on a project -- the thing worked great. I have since used it to clean up some drywall.

I have no idea how it compares to the more expensive unit - so I can not add anything.

I went to a HF the other day and they had quite a few attachments -- I picked up two replacement blades and some sandpaper. Plus they had a small round diamond blade that I purchased

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post
    I went to a HF the other day and they had quite a few attachments -- I picked up two replacement blades and some sandpaper. Plus they had a small round diamond blade that I purchased
    I just saw that blade in their catalog (along with the grout blade, neither of them on their www that I can find). What would you use that blade on? Tile, maybe?

I have a Fein but had to try the HF at around $30 especially for those dirty jobs. I too have found the HF works good but the blades do come loose under heavy use even with hefty clamp load. I think I saw somewhere that the tool has been redesigned to help keep the blades tight???

Mike

Hello,
    think I saw somewhere that the tool has been redesigned to help keep the blades tight???
    You might be thinking of the Dremel. I know my Dremel is a post-fix model which has the cupped washer to hold the blade tight.
    My HF unit also appears to have a washer with a slight cup to it, so it's possible they both suffered from the same defect.
    I know I'm very careful to put the washers on both the same way all the time & unless I haven't really cranked down hard, i don't have any problems w/the blade coming loose.

I used mine today for the first time on a door repair job. The strike plate area had been broken out. It made quick work of the job. If for nothing else, cutting off shims, it's worth it's price. Called my son, who is in a similar business, and told him how I was satisfied with mine. He stopped at HF and bought one. Friday, I will pick up another for a spare.

Good timing, it's on sale now for $40.

Are any of the HF blades carbide?

Is the sandpaper PSA or H&L?

I bought the round diamond blade just to have around - over the years this type of blade has come in handy around cast parts and plastic.

I have a carbide grit type blade for my Sawzall, jig saw and a hand saw -- and they are great for some applications.

And yes it does look like it would wok for tile

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The Fein does 21000 opm. I'd think a cheap unit wouldn't last very long. But,you have to pay the toll for the Fein.
    I have the Rockwell one. And I have used it a lot. More costly than the HF one but less than the Fein one.

It is interesting that HF includes replacement brushes, how often have you seen that? Seems like they expect them to fail.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Hey all!

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I need such a tool... heh. I would like one, but I figure it'll turn into one of those tools where I use once to cut something and it'll sit for about 6months before the next use.

Anyway... I surfed the internet for some deals and came across this:

Dremel Multi-Max Oscillating Tool Kit @ http://www.woot.com/
    $59.99 + $5 shipping
    CONDITION:
    Refurbished
    PRODUCT:
    1 Dremel 6300-02L Multi-Max Oscillating Tool Kit

This deal is only for a limited quantity and a limited time (until about 10pm PST Sept 04)

So, if anybody is worried about "brand name", here's your chance. Of course, it is "refurbished". At least it has variable speed (from 10K RPM to 21K RPM)
    Last edited by donald yip; 09-04-2009 at 1:35 AM.