Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Hammers

Shop Hammers

I have two questions about shop hammers. I am looking for a hammer to use in the shop. I use a 20 oz Estwing hammer and it always seem over kill in the shop. I have looked at cabinet makers hammers has anybody used one of these. I would appreciate any input on this and I would like to hear what hammer you carry in the shop.
    The second question is dose anybody knows what kind of dead blow hammer that Norm uses on The New Yankee Workshop. It has a wooden handle and head. It looks like it has screw in mallet faces. Thanks for the help.

The primary mallet I use is a plastic head "hammer". The plastic is soft and it doesn't mark (color) the wood.

A wooden flat face mallet is often used.

Unless you're going to drive brads, a steel hammer is probably not needed. (I use an air driven 18 gauge brad gun for that.)

Mike

[Don't know much about Norm so I can't help you there.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-28-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I keep both a rubber coated dead blow hammer (for assembly if needed) and a 16oz claw hammer, for general shop and house things. I keep the 20 oz eastwing around to intimidate, less the wood not behave.

I have a plastic faced Stanley hammer with a metal head and wooden handle..

Great for shop use..

I have a variety of hammers and mallets -- two wooden mallets, a rubber mallet, and a dead-blow. A finishing hammer (maybe 6-8oz? not sure), a 16oz Stanley claw hammer and a 20 oz Estwing as well. If none of those convince the pieces to go together, I have 2lb and 3lb hammers. Either the pieces go together with those, or they get smashed to smithereens -- woodworking thunderdome .

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Blog Entries
    I have 3 shop hammers.

#1 - 16 oz. Estwing
    #2 - 16 oz. Plumb with fiberglass handle
    #3 - 13 oz. Plumb with wood handle

My Plumb hammers are the ones that were made before all this China crap.
    The 13 oz. Plumb is my favorite shop hammer.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have the following

- lignum vitae carvers mallet
    - beech square mallet
    - 1 Kg dead blow mallet
    - joiners hammer ( continental pattern)
    - small Warrington hammer

Regards, Rod.

I, too, have a number of hammers in the shop. Everything from a 3 pound one down to a tiny one that was in an old time child's toy tool box. (That was back when kids got real tools - iron head and wooden handle, in this case). Another one is a small brass hammer. Others are ball peen, tack, plastic deadblow and an assortment of sizes of claw hammers.

Nothing like having the right size/type of hammer for the job at hand.

Lee in NC

My first choice in the shop is one of my vaughn 10 Oz. Not for framing, but very nice balance and it fits in my pocket. The first one has a black locust handle now after I tried to pull a 16 penny nail. I have a nice Japanese hammer that is my choice for non-nail use.

I have too many hammers to count but for the shop my goto trio is a rubber mallet (white rubber), a dead blow and my trusty old estwing 16oz trim hammer. On the job I use a 28oz Estwing. But usually I leave it in the trailer and only bring it out to pull a nail or something!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I have decorative hammers as well, but for assembly I use a pair of SnapOn dead blows. I have a pair because I could not find one one day. Now I can lose two! They are bright orange, so that helps.

I have a small plastic headed machinists hammer I use quite often as well.

One never has enough hammers. I have ballpean from 4 oz to 2 lb, a framing hammer, 4 or 5 claw hammers, plastic and rubber headed ones, tack hammers, 8 lb sledge but the ones that I use 99% of the time in the wood shop are the ones in the pictures.

hammers-1.jpg

The two on the right are Armstrong brand and the one on the left is one that I built. The Armstrongs have fiberglass handles and the one I built is aluminum. The thing that I really like about these are the interchangeable heads. I have forgotten all the different compositions but there are many of them. The ones that I use are a hard nylon and medium rubber. They are well balanced and the one in the middle was the first one that I purchased and that was in the mid to late eighties. The one on the right was next and then needing one in the spray room, I built the one on the left. They get used hard and often.

hammers-3.jpg

This shows the screw in heads. These are primarily used in the woodshop but also see service occasionaly in my small machine shop.

Bottom line I think is, does it perform satisfactorily for you and do you enjoy using it when needed.

16oz eastwing
    10oz? eastwing [can't remember the ounce, but its the smallest one eastwing makes.
    Leather mallet

Norm's tools

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clay View Post
    I have two questions about shop hammers. I am looking for a hammer to use in the shop. I use a 20 oz Estwing hammer and it always seem over kill in the shop. I have looked at cabinet makers hammers has anybody used one of these. I would appreciate any input on this and I would like to hear what hammer you carry in the shop.
    The second question is dose anybody knows what kind of dead blow hammer that Norm uses on The New Yankee Workshop. It has a wooden handle and head. It looks like it has screw in mallet faces. Thanks for the help.
    http://www.normstools.com/index.shtml

Um - damn...

I have everything from a tack hammer and a 1oz ballpein to a 15 lb osage orange beetle in my shop, LOL
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand