Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaws -- Bosch vs Festool

Jigsaws -- Bosch vs Festool

I currently have an older Bosch B4200 jigsaw that I am thinking about retiring. My only real complaint about it is the blade deflection -- other than that it is an excellent saw. However the deflection issue makes cutting accurate curves in anything thicker than 3/4" difficult, if not impossible.

I understand that both the Bosch 1590/91 and Festool have lower blade guides that minimize deflection. The Bosch is about $145 on Amazon, and the Festool is $310.

Is the Festool significantly superior to the Bosch in terms of performance? Dust collection on a jigsaw is not a big issue for me.

Also, are the Festool blades proprietary, or does is accept standard blades?

I chose the Bosch over the Festool simply because it feels better in my hand. I got the barrel grip.

No blade deflection whatsoever. It will take Festool blades just fine. Dust collection works great, too.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Sullivan View Post
    I currently have an older Bosch B4200 jigsaw that I am thinking about retiring. My only real complaint about it is the blade deflection -- other than that it is an excellent saw. However the deflection issue makes cutting accurate curves in anything thicker than 3/4" difficult, if not impossible.

I understand that both the Bosch 1590/91 and Festool have lower blade guides that minimize deflection. The Bosch is about $145 on Amazon, and the Festool is $310.

Is the Festool significantly superior to the Bosch in terms of performance? Dust collection on a jigsaw is not a big issue for me.

Also, are the Festool blades proprietary, or does is accept standard blades?

Jason -- thanks.

I actually meant to ask whether the Festool saw would accept standard blades -- in re-reading my post, I see how it was ambiguous.

You would have to be the judge. I have no experience with Festool products. The Bosch barrel jig saw I have is a great saw. I hate D handles on any jig saw. I've cut one inch MDF with good success. I'm not in the shop, but mine looks like the 1584AVSK but it might be different since it's about ten years old. I love the reverse tooth blades.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I love my 1590. But it is not as often used as it once was (I'm not doing a lot that calls for a jigsaw.) Hold all three and see which you prefer.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I am totally happy with the reconditioned Bosch 1590 for $129. Under warrantee and clean and scratch-free.

http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/jig_s...90evsk-rt.html

No deflection. Festool might be even better but I cannot imagine how!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

So do Festool jigsaws take standard blades?

I have two jigsaws, a Bosch cordless and a Metabo barrel saw. Both do a wonderful job for me. Both accept the t shank blades, though the blade release on the Bosch is much easier to use. Festool makes some great stuff, but in this case I think you would be more than satisfied with the Bosch.

Not to hijack but there seem to be two Bosch barrel grip jigsaws available -- 1591 (the new model) and 1584 (the older one). Anyone have a preference?

Yes, Festool takes the Bosch blades. I have both, Bosch and Festool barrel grips. I like Festool tools, but don't think the price of the jig saw is worth it on this one. Go for the Bosch.

Richard
    Richard

Yes, Festool takes the Bosch blades. I have both, Bosch and Festool barrel grips. I like Festool tools, but don't think the price of the jig saw is worth it on this one. Go for the Bosch.
    Check and mate. Too bad, in a way. I have been looking for a good excuse to but a Festool.

The Festool saw takes any t-shank type blade.

Jason

Jason -- thanks.

I actually meant to ask whether the Festool saw would accept standard blades -- in re-reading my post, I see how it was ambiguous.

Check and mate. Too bad, in a way. I have been looking for a good excuse to but a Festool.
    Replacing your circular saw with the Festool is ALWAYS a good excuse.

Every time I use mine, I think to myself, "Why didn't I buy this earlier?"
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

You really can't go wrong with either. Both are top flight tools.

Jason

I like my 1590. It's the D grip model. I've got no complaints with it. Don't use it a lot for 3/4" + thickness' often, though. If I do its usually MDF it gets used on and it does a good job, IMO. I mainly use it for making spec designed cornice boards for my wife's biz, which mostly is 1/2 thickness' therabouts, but it handles those tight cuts well. Not sure if my mainly 1/2" application use helps you any. If you're looking for info on how it handles thicker/harder wood, I don't use it in that capacity much at all so I may not be adding any info of use here. Can't speak to Festool as I've never owned any, but they do have a great rep. I paid about $120 or so new for the Bosch a couple of years ago from Lowes. I also agree Bob's comment on the ease of the blade release.