Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Guy, with pics

Wow, this one was drug up from the depths. I still enjoy that box every day as I now have it next to my bed. As I recall the chisels are 750's and have not been used. The hammer, zigzag, pliers(MIA), level and tri were the only used items. In 8 years searching I've never been able to find a proper vintage pair of Stanley pliers.

By the way, the chest/set is mid 50's. Also missing was the original catalog and I located one using the packing list pic. It was a '55 catalog, no. 34, of course.

Post a picture of the ones you want, including the logo if known; lots of us have probably walk right by a suitable pair on rust hunts. I pick up (not collect) antique pliers and such that have decorative milling/ casting for the grips, and even nice ones are usually a buck or less.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    Post a picture of the ones you want, including the logo if known; lots of us have probably walk right by a suitable pair on rust hunts. I pick up (not collect) antique pliers and such that have decorative milling/ casting for the grips, and even nice ones are usually a buck or less.
    Karl
    Karl, thanks for the nice offer. I went to the '55 catalog and strangely, it doesn't have list pliers. I'm copying the catalog description that just lists "pliers" in the tool list.

Guys, help finding a pair would be appreciated. You don't know how many pairs I've picked up, and now own, over the years. Nary a stanley pair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark kosse; 11-12-2015 at 7:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    I need a refresher on my vintage chisels are those 720's? They look as if no hands have ever seduced them!
    Mike, it looks like the 1" was used but not the others. Sorry for the sideways pics. They're upright on this ipad and the orientation of the screen is locked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Here is a picture taken of a page from the John Walter book on Stanley Tools:

Stanley Pliers.jpg

The handles look rather distinctive. I believe I have seen them in real life, but that was many years in the past.

Read the note on model #5.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Here is a picture taken of a page from the John Walter book on Stanley Tools:

Stanley Pliers.jpg

The handles look rather distinctive. I believe I have seen them in real life, but that was many years in the past.

Read the note on model #5.

jtk
    thanks jim! But now this ain't going to be any easier. Does it say what time period this was happening in because I thought sw ended long before. I'd find it hard to beleave they'd make special pliers just for these boxed sets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    thanks jim! But now this ain't going to be any easier. Does it say what time period this was happening in because I thought sw ended long before. I'd find it hard to beleave they'd make special pliers just for these boxed sets.
    You are welcome.

The book usually gives a date range. It looks like all the pliers were all manufactured in 1934 and only in that year. One of the type studies suggest the SW mark was dropped in 1932.

It may have been some had the mark and some didn't. They may have had a large stock on hand of a tool that wasn't selling during tough times.

Just a possibility, but it could also be an error in the book

Best bet may be to watch for garage sales, estate sales and flea markets.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well... These are mid 50's so I'm thinking no sw logo. That must be for an older box. I think I just need a pair that say stanley. I do have one pair I found but someone had ground the gripper teeth off the inside of them, so the search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Mike, it looks like the 1" was used but not the others. Sorry for the sideways pics. They're upright on this ipad and the orientation of the screen is locked.
    Those are so nice. I could only hope to find such excellent examples.