Thread: My First Set Of Gun Grips

My First Set Of Gun Grips

I finished my first set of 'presentable' grips.

The wood is Camphor Burl and the photo doesn't do the real coloration of this wood justice.

I used two coats of Tung Oil and polished with my Beall polisher.

Any comments?

nice looking grips. I'll give you $600 for the gun. Those kimbers aren't all they are cracked up to be .

Nice job, Jerry! You are right about the pic - I am betting that burl looks a lot better in person. It's hard to tell, but is the tung oil going to give it enough luster?

And, don't let Josh steal that Kimber - not much better out there!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Nice job, Jerry! You are right about the pic - I am betting that burl looks a lot better in person. It's hard to tell, but is the tung oil going to give it enough luster?

And, don't let Josh steal that Kimber - not much better out there!
    The tung oil soaked right into the wood, which is exactly what I wanted. The highlights from the tung was great, but the Beall polishing really made it pop.

I have some other woods that are drying right now and I'll use another photo set up, which might show the wood better.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reid View Post
    nice looking grips. I'll give you $600 for the gun. Those kimbers aren't all they are cracked up to be .
    LOL, this Kimber was horribly inaccurate when I bought it (new). Kimber Custom Shop put a new barrel in it and it's now more accurate than I am.

Nice job on the grips.. does the smooth wood handle cause any twist from recoil when you fire? I've never had a wood handle on any of my .45 Autos and just wondered.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Nice job on the grips.. does the smooth wood handle cause any twist from recoil when you fire? I've never had a wood handle on any of my .45 Autos and just wondered.

Sarge..
    Couldn't tell you in all honesty...I haven't taken it to the range with the new grips yet. The wood is definitely not slick as the carnuba polish give it a positive tacky feel.

Thanks Jerry, if the carnuba is leaving it tacky.. probably not. But.. if it does just wrap those pretty grips with some double sticky sided carpet tape and it will stop the twist.

Just kidding you, of course. Again.. nice job..

Sarge..

That is very nice. I believe you have just inspired my next project.

Look good, you did a great job with these!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Byars View Post
    That is very nice. I believe you have just inspired my next project.
    thanks! Make sure you post some photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Look good, you did a great job with these!!
    Thanks Jim