Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repurposing a washing machine transmission

Repurposing a washing machine transmission

I have a washing machine transmission. It's heavy: built like a tank. It has an input shaft that takes one way rotary motion and reduces the speed and converts that to a different kind of rotary motion that goes one way then reverses itself with no meaningful dwell period.

It's a really strong assembly so it can drive a heavy load against lots of resistance. But it's not fast enough to use as a shaker driver for separating soil from rocks on a screen.

I can't think what to do with it.
    It looks so very useful (you gotta know this feeling) that I can't bring myself to toss it.

What shop tool, what machine can take advantage of this sort of reversing rotary motion.

Smile Polishing

A tumbler like polisher . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Paint mixer?
    And now for something completely different....

Tumbler and mixer are Both very good.
    The motion is appropriate
    I hadn't thought of them

The only use I'd come up with was to drive some king of reciprocating saw up and down like some version of a scroll saw only very heavy and very big as in re-sawing logs and such. It'd be very slow and the machine would consume a lot of shop space for only one purpose.

I googled and googled and got nothing.
    I wonder if kids use that as an excuse for not handing in homework.
    "There was nothing on the internet to rip off so I didn't do the assignment."

Cradle rocker,
    Hammock swinger
    Rocking chair rocker.

Hello,
    Sounds like a sort of walking beam w/out the beam.
    There's plenty of ways to convert that to either rotary or linear motion.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I plan to (in the next winters months) replace my aging Band Saw. My current Band Saw I will convert to a dedicated metal cutting machine. To do this I will have to slow the blade down considerably, A blade speed of 100 to 300 feet per minute should do nicely. A slow down somewhere in the 50-1 range. I could do this by adding a couple of extra large and small pulleys, a second belt and a jack shaft, A mechanism similar to what a Drill Press uses. Or what I think may be a simpler route would be scavenging a DC motor out of an old exercise treadmill with it's variable speed control circuit board and replacing the Band Saw's motor with the Treadmill's variable speed motor.

Does this washing machine transmission also run in one direction only? Could it be modified to do so? How much speed reduction does it actually have?
    Last edited by Nick Abbott; 05-29-2009 at 7:21 PM.

A co-worker repurposed a wash machine tranny into a double headed can crusher, to use at deer camp. I haven't seen it in action but it sure sounds interesting

Jerry

Id use it to make a goose decoy. Use the trans to power wings, when the geese see the decoy you will have happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I googled and googled and got nothing.
    Have a look at Make magazine if you have some time. Maybe you'll get some ideas...

best,
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

Handy for theater sets. Used one to move a small band stage in and out during local performances of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" many years ago.

would make a good oscillator for a belt or drum sander.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Why not make a WASHING MACHINE.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

You need to talk to one of these guys...................

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    would make a good oscillator for a belt or drum sander.

Hmmm. I have often wondered how that action is achieved.
    I think it might be easier to use a little swing link for that small amount of motion. This thing rotates about 3/4 of a turn or more and back again