Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will a replacement 1micron top bag help?

What's a good source for the plastic bottom bags on the 50-850? Picked up a couple OE replacements last month- two bags were about $18.00.

What is an AFF bag?
    Fullerbuilt

You can get a pack of 5 clear bags at Woodcraft for about $15.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by John Callahan View Post
    What's a good source for the plastic bottom bags on the 50-850? Picked up a couple OE replacements last month- two bags were about $18.00.

Did you put one on the bottom, too? I've been wondering if that would improve the CFM even more than the plastic bag I have on there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Chambless View Post
    +1. I got those for my HF collector, and they do a great job.

I had a 2 1/2 HP DC with 5 micron, and noticed a huge difference in less dust in the shop as well as improved performance when i replaced the top bag with an AFF. They actually have the CFM flow per square ft. for their bags and many others and can help you understand the change. But if you oversize the top (AFF bags are made to order) and go with a plastic on the bottom you will do well. Surprisingly, AFF didn't recommend I put one of their bags on the bottom....indicating that because the debris fills it up any gain is neglible. Their bags cost a small premium (about 10% at the time I bought mine, quite a few years ago) but you can really come out ahead with the oversized model. Good luck with your choice.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Did you put one on the bottom, too? I've been wondering if that would improve the CFM even more than the plastic bag I have on there now.
    Yes, I did. To be honest, the idea of a plastic bottom bag didn't even occur to me until later. It seems to me that having two felt bags gives more filter area (at least until the bottom bag fills up), but the plastic bag might be slightly easier to empty and reinstall.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Scroll down to the middle of the page

Quote Originally Posted by John Callahan View Post
    http://wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm $13.00 for 10 bags. I don't know how much shipping would add to that, however.

Actually, the plastic bottom bags are a PITA to install!!!! Easy for disposal, though. That's the big advantage.

The plastic bags don't have "tabs" for the metal belt to go through. At least the ones I get from Woodcraft don't. I spend a lot of time trying to duct-tape the plastic bag in place while I fasten the belt with my "other" two hands. I end up inhaling quite a bit of dust as I sit there on the ground performing my little ritual.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Chambless View Post
    Yes, I did. To be honest, the idea of a plastic bottom bag didn't even occur to me until later. It seems to me that having two felt bags gives more filter area (at least until the bottom bag fills up), but the plastic bag might be slightly easier to empty and reinstall.

The 1 micron bag will improve your airflow, more holes per inch of fabric, think of a parallel circuit...

Wood mag did a fairly rigorous comparison of small DC units and airflow, the 1 micron bags had the best airflow.

I don't understand why, but having a plastic bag on the bottom helped maximize flow as well.
    Where did I put that?

Actually, the plastic bottom bags are a PITA to install!!!! Easy for disposal, though. That's the big advantage.

The plastic bags don't have "tabs" for the metal belt to go through. At least the ones I get from Woodcraft don't. I spend a lot of time trying to duct-tape the plastic bag in place while I fasten the belt with my "other" two hands. I end up inhaling quite a bit of dust as I sit there on the ground performing my little ritual.

Jason
    Mine doesn't use a metal belt (at least not exposed metal). It is a padded band, that I put around the plastic bag. Then I fold the plastic over it, and stick it in. It goes inside the bottom of the canister.

Jason

Jason try using a few magnets to hold the bag inplace while you put the belt on.

Joe Zerafa