Thread: Getting centered

Getting centered

This may be a dumb question, but the more I do, the more I am finding a need for this. Is there a good tool for finding the center on the end of boards, boards that are NOT square (or round dowels). Of course I have a number of centering rulers, but the lines I draw from those are sometimes off a hair and the result can be extra planing/sanding (on joining pieces with a floating tenon for example). Ideally I would like a tool that lets me find the center on each edge and let me draw a line simultaneously. Has to exist right?

I use a starret small combination square, put a line across square, then draw a 45 line from the edges of that line on both sides, where the lines cross is the center.

a handy little devise you can make with a scrap, two dowels and a nail is a center scribe.

Last edited by harry strasil; 05-31-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Lufkin makes a tape measure that does exactly that. You measure the board, and then find that measurement on the other side, which will be exactly half. I lost mine some time back, and haven't gotten a new one, but I really liked it. The Amazon link is below:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4mvx94xv4p_e

I think all centering tools are made to give you the "exact" center. So when you use a pencil to mark the center you'll be off by the radius of the pencil lead. A marking knife will give you the most exact marking.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

getting centered

Harry hit it right on the head, a good combination square is your best choice here....works every time. You can spend money and try all type of gadjects and new fangled ideas and still nothing more reliable and dependable than a good combination square...just can't improve on the best! The center finder idea is good and a cheap one too...simpler in this stuff translates to better in the long run.

Like Harry showed, this works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night