Thread: Transporting equipment; best method

Transporting equipment; best method

Hey Folks,
    Moving to a new house and I'm wondering the best way to transport heavy machinery like the table saw, bandsaw, 8 inch jointer, etc. I'm renting a hydraulic lift tailgate truck, so no problem there, but my question is really the best position to have the equipment in when hauling it the 60 mile trip. Obviously, drill press can be slid down the column, but I'm wondering if the bandsaw, table saw, jointer, radial saw, etc which are basically top heavy should be laid on their sides someway. If left standing, I can secure them so they don't tip, but more concerned about the bumping/bouncing forces just being absorbed by the stands. We all know that when we get a new machine, it's always shipped dismantled. Of course part of the reason for that is to save space, but maybe also is to prevent likelihood of damage.
    Anyone with experience here, I'd appreciate your input.
    John

Hi John, almost none of my machines have been shipped disassembled.

I would remove easily broken items like guards and fences, and strap them upright in the truck.

Regards, Rod.

I'd get a truck with hooks in wall to tie to. Then secure everything to a wall.

Edit: Which is probably what Rod just said. Sorry.
    ken

One other thing you might want to do is block up the motor in your TS. A few good bounces could cause you problems there. Also, make sure the carriage is secured in place on your RAS.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    One other thing you might want to do is block up the motor in your TS. A few good bounces could cause you problems there. Also, make sure the carriage is secured in place on your RAS.
    Speaking of blocking... Maybe you could also nail short 2x4 blocking to the floor to snug things up. Most trucks have wood floors.
    ken

Probably be best to remove the wings from your TS if they are cast iron. Also, it can be flipped over and travel on the top, although that can be hard to handle. Likewise, I would consider at least partially dismantling a jointer unless it is a bench-top model. Most of the other equipment should be able to be tied down and padded with shipping blankets.

60 miles is not too bad, you can move them in one day and take some friends along for the ride to help. Just drive carefully. Plenty of beer once you get them off.
    When I retire in a couple of years, I will be moving from Florida to the NC mountains.

John,
    If you have high end equipment I would hire a mover that is familiar with moving equipment. If your tools are hobby type tools you can probably move them upright as long as they are anchored in a way that they can't tip, it is probably better than laying them down. Remove fragile items and things that are not firmly fastened to the tool. Rent some moving pads, they help cushion things.
    Good luck.
    David B

I moved my shop before and I'm moving again soon . I'm planning on getting a lot of strap tie-downs at HF. I also like to place blocks of styrofoam between truck's wall and a machine, and at the ends of jointer's beds just in case. Position machines about 1 foot apart.

Hopefully you are moving into a bigger shop, good luck.

I moved 20 miles and did it with a lift-gated truck. Sawstop, 10" jointer, 18" BS, 3 HP Shaper, 15" planer, etc, etc. I removed the stuff I could and took it from there. Be sure to secure everything before you operate the lift-gate... you don't want anything to roll off!