Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Lathes Gloat

Smile My New Lathes Gloat

I picked up the lathes on Saturday with the help of my son.
    The Delta is a 12" x 40" with 16" at the gap of the bed. The bearings are smooth and the spindle runs dead true. There was just a haze of surface rust on the ways that cleaned up with WD-40 and Scotch Brite. It came with 4 face plates and a 3 jaw chuck.
    The Vega is a model 24 from the 80's. It needs a little cleaning up but seems like a solid machine. The spindle is just a straight 3/4" shaft. I'm going to turn the end down to 5/8" and chase threads on it. Then I'll make a threaded adapter hub that screws on the shaft and has 1"-8 thread on the outside so I can screw on a chuck. I'll also bore out the face plates and thread them. It's a little bit of work but it will make the lathe more usable.
    The Vega has forward and reverse. What would you use reverse for?
    Thanks for the advice last week on buying the Vega.

The best part of the gloat, other than getting 2 lathes, is the price. The total for both lathes was $ 500.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice score

That's a good deal and the right choice. You'd have always regretted any other decision.

As for reverse, I use it for sanding end grain bowls/platters that are just stubborn. For example, I have some extremely quilted maple that is beautiful but a PITA to get the absolute maximum finish out of it. There are so many undulations and grain changes that there is no one finish cut that'll get them all to my satisfaction.

Vega Lathe

Rob,

Last month I picked up a Vega 1200. I need to do some fiddling with it. I want to take the soindle assembly out out and replace it with a new one.

I'm considering making it a 1.25 X 8 thd. Some one has removed the intermediate pulley set. I think that I will need to put a set back in. I will be fall before I have time to play with mine. Vega didn't follow traditional designs all the way. Mine has some neat features.

Would you have a manual for your Vega? Mine has reverve also, that could be a plus for sanding. Be carefull with reverse or the chuck get right in your face, but that may not a problem for you.

Please keep us posted, I haven't found much info on the Vegas. They are manufactured about 45 minutes from me.

Bob Haverstock

That shop is disgusting!!!--- It's toooo durn clean!

I agree with your disgustingly clean shop...... Looks pittiful.

Nice score. For reverse, sanding, and some creative cutting some people do in reverse, also if you use a chatter tool or similer and want to get the revirse pattern. There is a bunch of stuff you can do none of it normal cuts though.
    -=Jason=-

Rob - congrats on both of your lathes! Looks like you will be set for quite a while when it comes to turning.

Best suggestion I have about reverse - try it. Once you turn a bowl - or anything - sand it all down like you normally would. Once finished - touch the wood and you will feel how silky smooth it is - in one direction but ever so slight of a drag in the other direction (against the grain). Put the lathe in reverse and lightly sand with the last grit you were using and it becomes silky smooth in both directions!

Most modern chucks come with set screws that are located on the collar of the chuck and are tightened (secures the chuck to the spindle) so that the chuck will not unscrew when run in reverse. Should you pick up another chuck - make sure it has that feature.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I saw this CL ad and was going to bite on the Vega. Nice gloat.

Congrats on the lathes, I don't think you'll regret your decision. Now you need to start throwing some curls.

Not only is the shop too clean, it is too BIG!!
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Congrats! I'd say for $500 you are set for life in lathes. You might have to put out a little money for some repairs...but you now have a lot more money for "accessories" which is where the expense is anyway!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Rob, looks like you got a great deal! You should be able to turn about everything from spindles to bowls etc., enjoy.

Bob,
    The seller didn't have a manual for either lathe. The intermediate set of pulleys gives you 4 high and 4 low speeds. I thought about going to 1.25 x 8 but the Delta has 1 x 8 so I figure I will just need one chuck.(I'm sure that will change though). At least that will get me started.
    When I make the spindle adapter I'll put an undercut groove for a chuck setscrew. Good thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haverstock View Post
    Rob,

Last month I picked up a Vega 1200. I need to do some fiddling with it. I want to take the soindle assembly out out and replace it with a new one.

I'm considering making it a 1.25 X 8 thd. Some one has removed the intermediate pulley set. I think that I will need to put a set back in. I will be fall before I have time to play with mine. Vega didn't follow traditional designs all the way. Mine has some neat features.

Would you have a manual for your Vega? Mine has reverve also, that could be a plus for sanding. Be carefull with reverse or the chuck get right in your face, but that may not a problem for you.

Please keep us posted, I haven't found much info on the Vegas. They are manufactured about 45 minutes from me.

Bob Haverstock

Wow what a deal!! You got your moneys worth and then some for those lathes!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Well, I had to sweep up a little before I put the lathe in place. It's been a lot easier to keep the floor clean since I finally piped my DC and have a floor sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wasser View Post
    That shop is disgusting!!!--- It's toooo durn clean!