Thread: Mentor (of sorts) request

Mentor (of sorts) request

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in the KC, Lawrence or Topeka area would be willing to show me how to tune planes. I have bought books, watched dvds etc. but have had little luck in getting a couple of my planes up and running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in the KC, Lawrence or Topeka area would be willing to show me how to tune planes. I have bought books, watched dvds etc. but have had little luck in getting a couple of my planes up and running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Jacob,

If no one in your area responds, we could try to take care of this here in the forum. It would not only be good for you, but may help a lot of others with similar problems.

What planes are giving you trouble would be a good starting point.

The problems would be a natural second place to start.

Also of interest is what sharpening method do you use?

Finally, do you have a way to post pictures? They do help, but we can work around it if you do not have a camera.

jim

What Jim said.

These folks are my tutors / mentors / shop teachers again and again. They don't make fun of me when I don't get it! I'll even share my ounce of experience and pound of foolishness with you.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'm in Overland Park, but if you want to make the drive, I could help out a bit.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Jacob:

Woodworking clubs are a good source for hands on demonstrations of many woodworking skills. You can often find a member who has the answer to your questions.

Woodworkers Assoc. Of Topeka
    9421 Nw 42nd St.
    Silver Lake, KS 66539

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    I'm in Overland Park, but if you want to make the drive, I could help out a bit.
    PM sent.

Thanks everyone. I am sure I will have questions, but I just need to get some rudimentary hands on advice right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    PM sent.

Thanks everyone. I am sure I will have questions, but I just need to get some rudimentary hands on advice right now.

Jacob, I'm a little farther East in KC (Lee's Summit Area)....and would gladly help out too. I could also meet over at Don Peterson's Place in OP, KS. Don's a terrific Neander and maybe the two of us will have enough sense to help you out.

Don -- did you hear I'm inviting myself over..........

Hey Roy,

The more the merrier... Roy, if you've seen my shop and what a mess it is, and still want to drop by, you're welcome!
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    Hey Roy,

The more the merrier... Roy, if you've seen my shop and what a mess it is, and still want to drop by, you're welcome!
    Get the vacuum and brooms out!!