Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My sad little gloat ........

My sad little gloat ........

I had the pleasure of having my fourth knee surgery in the past 18 months last week. About 2 days after surgery, my "tree spy" called to say that he was taking down a large mesquite tree. He knew that I had just had surgery and said that if I could just get a trailer to him, he would have it cut up and load it for me. Hard to turn down that offer. The biggest piece in the front is 16" across. I guess that I will just throw some anchorseal on the ends and watch it sit around for a couple of months ............. Okay, maybe I can stand on one leg for a small bowl or something ........ We'll see .......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Nothing like a fresh haul to speed up recovery. Get well soon!

See I wouldn't be excited about this for turning, but I'd have to buy about 100lbs of meat and fire up the smoker !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Robert - congrats on your wood score! Sorry to hear about yet another knee surgery! Hope you heal quickly and can finally be pain free! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of this - sure is some great looking wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Robert, pretty decent score on the wood but what happened with the knee? I thought you were close to getting back to full duty.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Nice wood, but bad knee!

Bob, I understand what you are going through, but it is my shoulders not the knees. I have some bursitis in the left knee that is giving me some trouble but no surgery for that! I gave up on the surgeries for my shoulders, every time I had one done it failed and made it worse. So I just suffer with the pain and lack of mobility. I hope you are up and at it soon to turn that nice haul of Mesquite! I sure wished I lived near Texas to get some to play with!

Take care and get better,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thats a pretty good friend you have there. Nice gloat. What part of Texas are you in? A friend of mine in the DFW area says mesquite is as scarce as hens teeth. Hope you recover soon.

Dang, 4 in 18 months? That's harsh. Hope you recover well and soon.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

congratulations on the mesquite, good luck with your knee

Robert,
    Very sorry to hear about yet another knee surgery. Sure hope this time is the proverbial charm.

If that's the trailer I think it is, it's about 4'x8', so those are some very nice mesquite logs. Best of luck with your knee.
    Richard in Wimberley

Sorry to hear about the knee, hope you have a quick recovery, good looking mesquite.

Robert,

Nice, nice score on the Mesquite! Best of both worlds; I turn a lot of Mesquite here, free, and THEN use all the shavings for the grill! Those are some nice specimens, and Mesquite is such fun to turn, so stable, nice grain.

One suggestion you might try, a high stool, like a bar stool, and see if you can sort of lean/sit and turn that way. Could work, depends on what I'm doing, I usually stand at the lathe, but if I have a small project or my back hurts, I put a high stool and lean on that a bit while turning. Just a thought!

Speedy recovery to you indeed, hope so!

Jude

My dad had bad knees and very bad feet, he did all of his turning sitting on a stool. Nice score and good luck in the recovery
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Great gloat and speedy recovery to you Robert.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    See I wouldn't be excited about this for turning, but I'd have to buy about 100lbs of meat and fire up the smoker !
    Now that's just a crime right there.... I'd rather turn than burn.

Mesquite is a great wood for turning.

You can always ship it over here if you decide you can't get to it anymore. I'll take all you'll give away.