Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the Delta 12" lunchbox planer at Lowe's...

A few things to try to reduce snipe

As I remember back, I recall a few things that helped with snipe. I had my 22-540 on a rolling stand. A foot or so from each table I had a roller slightly higher than the tables. This helped elevate the stock entering and exiting the planer. Some people took a 12" wide piece of melamine about 5'-6' long and put a cleat on the bottom front and back about midway on the melamine so it didn't pull thru the planer. Level and support the melamine so it functions as an infeed/outfeed table. I have no experience with this but saw it in magazines and in online postings. It seemed to work. As Ray and others said, don't take too much at one time; it's hard on the machine and will probably not do a good job. The last thing I can think of is running the piece thru twice when you get to the final depth. I found that sometimes reduced the snipe. Light cuts and technique seemed to go a long way toward good performance in my experience.

HTH

Curt

Thanks again for all the input. I went ahead and upped my budget a bit and picked up the Ridgid 13" 4330. The biggest difference being that the 13" allows me to run some of my 2-piece glue-ups through after being glued whereas 12.5" often wouldn't be enough. And the 4330 is a three-cutter versus the 2-cutter low-end Delta, and has DC port.

Now to set it up. Oh, how glad I will be to not be planing via 1/2" router bit anymore!!

You are lucky to be living in this age of cheap machinery. I did not have a planer for many years. When I did get one,it was a really screwed up old Parks 12",which I kept for years. Back then,only American machines were to be had,and they were very expensive,even for poor ones.

The jointer I had was an old Army surplus Boice Crane 6" short bed.It,and the Parks planer both had had the tables really messed up by some fool with a body grinder. I just couldn't afford better stuff,but made them work.

Congratulations, I have had my Rigid planer for a couple mos.

And find it quite usable. I downsized from a Grizzly 15" that I had put a shelix head in. I downsized much of the shop which was expanding over outside of my half of the two car garage and ended up selling the Grizzly. Frankly I needed some extra cash then as well. I replaced it with the Rigid. We have a Home Depot card which we use once in a while for a larger project when the one year no interest financing comes around, other wise the card sits in the drawer. Has worked out quite well for bigger puchases. My few mos with it have been trouble free. Plus if you every get the Shelix itch Holbren gives Creekers a 10% discount last time I checked so for a mere 400 or so bucks you can shelixize your lunch box planer.

Byrd Shelix Head for Ridgid R4330 13" Planer
    See details

Item #: B4298
    Price: $439.00

I REALLY did not like mine... it sniped like crazy and dulled fast plus it came with no dust/chip collection. I felt like I was ripping someone off when I sold it for $150....

Do yourself a favor, at least get one with 4 posts...