Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The shoot out Mini CV06 vs. Dust Deputy

The shoot out Mini CV06 vs. Dust Deputy

The Mini CV06, cost $120 plus shipping of $15
    The mini is set up for 2 1/2 vac hose with fittings on the end just like you get the hose when you buy the vac. It is a little taller then the Dust Deputy but not much and this really is no big deal at all. It comes ready to mount on the lid of a buck with an MDF ring on the bottom for mounting.
    http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm

The Dust Deputy, cost $59 stand alone, $99 kit with buckets. The Dust Deputy is set up more for 2 1/2 hose with no fittings on it, the plan hose goes right one with a tight fit. The stand alone is just the unit itself with no buckets or mount. The kit comes with the 2 buckets, mount, mounting hardware and hose. The mounting is a noting job, cut a ring of MDF, screw it all to the lid and off you go.
    http://www.dustdeputy.com/

Both units were mounted on the lid of a 5 gal. Home Depot bucket. I used the same shop vac for both test, cleaned out after each test with an air hose.

The test was 5 gals of chips and table saw dust. The chips and dust were mixed up to give a good mixture of dust and chips. Then it was split into 2 piles of equal size.

First test, suck up as much as I could, just put the hose right in the middle of the pile and see what happened.

MC6, in a very few seconds the mini chocked and would not take any more and was letting the stuff go thought to the shop vac. I had to stop and let it catch up and then I could suck up some more. I had about 4 cups of chips and dust in the shop vac.

Dust Deputy, was very hard to get it to chock, it did chock but only after I just kept sucking in as much as I could. Very little got into the shop vac.

Second test, same amount of chips and dust only I added about a gallon of sander dust. The dust and chips were spread on the floor and then vacuumed up. The shop vac had been cleaned an blown out after each test.

MC6, it worked great, no dust in the shop vac that I could see and it vacuumed up everything, this was at a normal feed rate type test.

Dust Deputy, worked great, I did find some dust in the shop vac after the test, maybe a 1/2 a teaspoon of so of fine dust.

My conclusion:

Both units are really great units and do an outstanding job with a shop vac. The Mini will not take as much at a time as the Dust Deputy but I get the finer dust going into the shop vac from the Dust Deputy, from what I could see.
    The Dust Deputy has a 3 inch hole in the bottom and the Mini only has a 2 1/4 inch hole and this I think make the difference in how much you can push into it at one time.

So I think I am going to use the Mini on the main line, the table saw, sander, drill press and jounter. The Dust Deputy will go on the other shop vac for the router and general floor clean up.

P6038863.jpg

Any feedback on how these do for clearing dust/chips from tools during operation? (ie, if you have a lunchbox planer, or... ?)

Matt

great review, i can't seem to find this anywhere on the net. its good to get an honest, unbiased review instead of company bashings. the only thing i could ask for is maybe a set of pics comparing the amounts of dust and chips drawn into the shop vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Any feedback on how these do for clearing dust/chips from tools during operation? (ie, if you have a lunchbox planer, or... ?)

Matt
    On my Jet contractor saw they work great, on the drill press and and general use I think you would be very happy ether of them.

For the sander I am going to go with the Mini because it looks like to does a better job with the fine dust.

The DD would do much better on a planer but it would still be a lot to ask of a shop vac to keep up with a planer.

Still overall I think both are really good units. With these small units it is really all must a must to be able to see how things are going to you do not overload them and you can tell when the bucket is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    For the sander I am going to go with the Mini because it looks like to does a better job with the fine dust.
    Keep an eye on that 5 gal pail for signs of failure, Bill. My Ridgid (and I suspect many other vacs) creates enough neg pressure to deform them and break the seal. It becomes an issue when you obstruct or restrict the intake - like when using a small dia hose on a tool. I switched to pool chemical containers for that reason. They're a bit smaller and opaque but at least they don't crush. Ideally I'd love to find something clear or semi-clear in the 5-8 gal range that can withstand the pressure.
    - Tom

I've got the CV06 too.

It's a newbie in my shop though.
    I've got it mounted to a 3/4 plywood disk that I've routed a lip in to sit tightly down into a 6 gal plastic bucket. I did this to make it easier to empty the bucket. I don't like fighting the flange on those bucket lids.
    I run it with a 6hp craftsman vac equipped with a clean stream filter (I love these filters). What I seem to be experiencing is particles not falling out of the cyclone.
    Is my suction to great, or my bucket to shallow?
    I'm thinking I need a deeper bucket, any thoughts?

By the way, AWESOME review. Thanks for taking the time to test and share!

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    It's a newbie in my shop though.
    I've got it mounted to a 3/4 plywood disk that I've routed a lip in to sit tightly down into a 6 gal plastic bucket. I did this to make it easier to empty the bucket. I don't like fighting the flange on those bucket lids.
    I run it with a 6hp craftsman vac equipped with a clean stream filter (I love these filters). What I seem to be experiencing is particles not falling out of the cyclone.
    Is my suction to great, or my bucket to shallow?
    I'm thinking I need a deeper bucket, any thoughts?

By the way, AWESOME review. Thanks for taking the time to test and share!

Aaron
    Dust seems to want to continue swirling in the cone on my CV06 also. I am thinking the reversal point is messed up, or the outlet too narrow.

I had the same problem as Tom with the red HD 5 gal bucket collapsing. I went to a local chemical supply company and bought an empty 15 gal hard plastic container for $5. Cut the top of very carefully with a hand saw. Cut a round piece of MDF, then took my router with a 1/2" strait bit, made a jig to cut a circle, 1/2" deep or so. Took some 1/2" peel and stick foam insulation, and I was in business. It works great, and with a jointer and planer, the bucket doesn't fill up nearly as fast as with the 5gal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

I love my MiniCV. Keep checking the site; occasionally they go on sale for $99.

You know, though, the price of the Dust Cobra keeps dropping. before long, it might be in league with these options, given that it doesn't need a shopvac.

I own an Oneida Dust Cobra....there isn't a vacuum in its league. I can run 60 feet of hose outside my shop door and vacuum automobiles and the performance is awesome. I have been using the Dust Cobra to clean up my ShopBot table between machiing full sheets of Corian, it doesn't leave anything behind

I tried using the Dust Deputy, it did a good job but my shop vac didn't have enough power, or not enough to make me happy. I bit the bullet and bought the machine I should have purchased in the first place and I couldn't be happier.

Great info Bill. Would be interesting to compare to a Thien baffle. I have one in my 1-stage DC and in a 7.5 gal bucket for my shopvac (Festool CT33). They both work great. FYI - the bucket I used held chlorine for my pool. These buckets are heavy walled and have twist on lids that seal pretty good (so check you neighbors trash).

Mike

Good review.

I also love my mini CV attached to a festool ct22. Last weekend I finally changed the bag in my ct22 after about 2 years of use. The bag was about 10% full. The only reason I changed it was that when I went to see how much dust was in the bag the plastic inlet fell off. The separation on the CV is amazing.

By the way, today I received the new super dust deputy to attach to a 1 1/2 hp Delta 50-760. This is the larger version that just came out with the 30gal drum. I'll post a review after I have it setup and running.

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 06-04-2009 at 6:39 PM.

Possible solution....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Dust seems to want to continue swirling in the cone on my CV06 also. I am thinking the reversal point is messed up, or the outlet too narrow.

I was checking the ClearVue site and they say that if there is ANY amount of leak in your collection bucket or the seal between the CV06 and the lid/bucket it will create an up draft that will prevent the dust from dropping out. I'm going to duct tape the daylights out of my setup to see if things change. If that's the issue then I'll redesign some things.

I was checking the ClearVue site and they say that if there is ANY amount of leak in your collection bucket or the seal between the CV06 and the lid/bucket it will create an up draft that will prevent the dust from dropping out. I'm going to duct tape the daylights out of my setup to see if things change. If that's the issue then I'll redesign some things.
    I think I have a really good seal, but plan to check it out anyway.

Like my big DC, I have a fixed vac setup. I have a 2" duct running down my bench for the mortiser, etc. and blade chute on my mitersaw (6" DC under cabinet), and a line running overhead to my WW bench and assembly table for ROS, biscuit jointer, routers, etc. If anyone is thinking of doing the same, 2" gray pvc electrical conduit works great (available at both Borg). You can get some real nice long sweep 90's made from gray conduit material which can be cut to lesser angles. Of course standard 2" PVC fittings work also.

Are you sure its just not static, I have some chips that hand on the sides when I shut it off.