Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The shoot out Mini CV06 vs. Dust Deputy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Esh View Post
    Keep an eye on that 5 gal pail for signs of failure, Bill. My Ridgid (and I suspect many other vacs) creates enough neg pressure to deform them and break the seal. It becomes an issue when you obstruct or restrict the intake - like when using a small dia hose on a tool. I switched to pool chemical containers for that reason. They're a bit smaller and opaque but at least they don't crush. Ideally I'd love to find something clear or semi-clear in the 5-8 gal range that can withstand the pressure.
    Thanks for the info, I am thinking of getting a little larger one from work and it is metel, I think they are about 15 gallon.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Good review.

By the way, today I received the new super dust deputy to attach to a 1 1/2 hp Delta 50-760. This is the larger version that just came out with the 30gal drum. I'll post a review after I have it setup and running.

~mark
    Mark you are killing me here. I am dying to know how the super d/d is working. I am thinking this might be what I want to use in front of my Jet 1100.
    Thanks Harold

Harold, sorry to tease you more but that's what I bought mine for (just delivered yesterday) - I have the Jet 1100 RCK, and plan to build a different base so I can re-mount the blower on top of the DD, then run the output of the DD back into the 1100 and it's micron filter and still maintain portability. I'm a 1-man shop (it's also still in the works) so shouldn't need any more DC than that.

But as I know my limitations/time, I'm sure we'll BOTH read Mark's review before mine happens... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Shay View Post
    Mark you are killing me here. I am dying to know how the super d/d is working. I am thinking this might be what I want to use in front of my Jet 1100.
    Thanks Harold
    Same here. Inquiring minds wanna know....

Hi Harold,

I ran out and took a couple of pictures of my setup. I just finished it today. It took awhile to figure out how to get the SDD under my Delta 50-760 blower. I had to raise the top part of the stand about 26in. I think you can see the 36in steel tube I put in the middle from the pictures. The great thing is that the whole thing is still mobile although it doesn't need to move much. I also ran into problems with the 6in port on the SDD. Its an odd size and I couldn't find a reducer that would fit. The one that oneida reccommends fits after some butchering with tin snips. Its currently jammed on and duct taped. I'm waiting for some 6in hose so I can move the reducer and connect the 6in hose directly to the SDD. On the 5in port I was able to use some nordfab 5in connections that work really well. No luck getting any 6in nordfab to work on the other and I tried everything.

As for performance, its seems to work well. I hooked it to my planner and had good suction and nothing made it to the bag so seperation seems to be very good. I need to play with it some more and make sure I don't have any leaks anywhere.

Next week I'm going to order a wynn catridge filter and replace the bag. I also ordered a simple anemometer to see how much CFM I'm losing with the seperator and how much I get back with the cartridge. I'm hoping the meter will give me at least relative reading that I can compare.

I'd love to hear about others experiences.

~mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 06-14-2009 at 12:41 AM.

6. Thanks for the Photos. It appears you are using the sdd as a preseprator b-4 it goes into your plastic bag and upper filter. What would happen if you vented to the outside of your shop.

I have a Jet 1100 and my shop is full of fine dust. I am going to take a yard blower to it tomorrow while is use the evap cooler to pump fresh air in the shop.

I was thing of doing the jet behind the sdd and venting to the outside. I am in an area so this would not bother the neighbors. I have read that some are concerned about the heat in the winter with an outside vent but in Glendale Az. winters are not a cold porblem.

I am using the SDD as a preseperator. This keeps large particles out of the blower and filter. Exhausting directly outside would be great because I live in Los Angeles and the heating and cooling wouldn't be an issue but I can't because I live in Los Angeles (very close neighbors).

~mark

8. good stuff on review.

Thank you Mark. Steve I will be looking for your sdd install. I am going our of town and when I get back I plan to order the sdd and the 5 gal. version for the shop vac. I get a good clog on the filter with just the vac working. I use it for ROS sanding.

I think I will go with the D/Dd just because of the price, $70 is quite a difference. I know this started with the mc6 vs the d/d and the only concern I have is the small amount of fines left with the D/D as compared with the MC6.

I see you use the D/D and seem to be satisfied with the fine collection.

Is it worth the extra $$ for the MC6?

Harold (and interested others) - I'm moving on this just a bit slower than molasses, but did manage to measure the blower inlet on the Jet 1100 vs. the 6" outlet on the SDD, and they are identical - this means to me that I'd need to find a sleeve that fits both, and the only thing that comes to mind is one of those rubber S&D couplers with a pair of hose clamps.

Problem - that isn't gonna support the weight of the blower and motor, so I think a welding project is rearing its ugly (but interesting) head. I have a few ideas in mind, including a way to support most of the weight of the motor, blower and SDD while maintaining enough "crush" on the gasket, and still make it so emptying the 30 gallon barrel can be done without having to physically lift the entire thing off the barrel and find someplace to put it, etc -

Before I start (which won't be until bad weather) I've asked Oneida if they have any more info on stands, etc, so I don't end up re-inventing the wheel - just did this 5 minutes ago, will share anything they contribute.

Here's the link to the SDD page

http://store.oneida-air.com/thesuperdustdeputy.aspx

Note that in the bottom left (inset) it shows what appears to be a Jet blower/motor mounted directly to the SDD - and that there is NO SUPPORT for ANYTHING??!? Funny, but my SDD did NOT come with an anti-gravity pack - dang...

My solution, being as I am addicted to square steel tubing, is to build a "carriage" with a round hole in one level that will fit under the cyclone inlet to support it, then a vertical section that will mount the trapezoidal sheet metal that comes with the Jet (motor mount) to take the weight of the motor/blower, so that the 6" rubber coupler only needs to SEAL between the blower and cyclone.

This entire "carriage" would have 1-1/2" square steel tubes (about 6" long) at all 4 corners, and they would ride on 1-1/4" square tube "legs" with an adjuster mechanism (not finished thinking about that part yet) and a cam/lever device (also not clear yet) that would lift barrel lid, cyclone and motor/blower as a unit just far enough to clear the barrel...

The barrel itself will sit on a pull-out shelf (standard drawer glides) with a routed circle that positions the barrel repeatably - so when it's time to empty, you just flip the cam lever to raise all but the barrel, pull out the sliding shelf/barrel, empty, sit barrel back in routed groove, push in sliding shelf, lower the cam/lever, and get back to work.

Again, no details or drawings yet (still just in my head) but I'll be planing/jointing a LOT of oak and beech once I get started, and don't wanna be slowed down by lack of design on the DC.

BTW, I DID manage to get a start with the small clear DD - mounted it on a 21" dia. 3/8" thick Micarta lid, 1/4" foam gasket, sitting on top of one of those OLD craftsman shop vacs with the large tapered gray plastic cannisters (about 20 gallons) - gravity keeps it sealed, using a Rigid 16 gal. vac for suck. Worked great, sucked up some sawdust and a paper towel - towel got stuck in the cyclone, so I popped my hand on/off the hose several times til it got sucked past the cyclone and into the actual shop vac. When I was done, opened the vac and the towel was the ONLY thing in there. All else was in the bottom of the cyclone as it should be.

Sorry, no pics yet - lucky to find time to write this so far.

I'll be making a mobile platform to hold the large craftsman cannister/DD with a raised section for the Rigid vac, entire thing pulling on a 3-way connector fastened to the fences of 3 Jessem router tables each with a blast gate, and auto start for the vac when any of the routers are on.

Don't hold your breath on that part either - not trying to tease, just buried in life. When I finally DO get to these projects I'll resurrect this thread AND have pics, etc... Steve
    Last edited by Steve Leverich; 07-05-2009 at 10:43 AM.

A couple of more picture showing my setup with a wynn spun poly filter versus the bag. I replaced the clear bag so it would be pristene and then tried the planer, jointer, tablesaw and router table. Not a speck of dust can be found in the clear bag so seperation appears to be excellent. I have no way of measuring CFM but my guess is that I lose about 10-15% with the pre seperator. I use a couple of bungy cords that lifts the SDD about an inch when its time to empty the barrel.

~mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 07-05-2009 at 5:48 PM.

Mark,
    Thanks for the post. I've got the same DC and bought the SDD about a month ago. I planned on buying a Wynn 35A series cartridge filter too. Though I really like the idea of putting the DC on top of the SDD, I don't have that kind of headroom in my basement shop. About a week ago I saw an ad for a JDS dust colletctor that I thought was a brilliant solution.

Instead of mounting the filter on top and a catch bag on the bottom, they covered the upper opening, mounted the cartridge below, and put a catch bag below the cartridge. I'd really like to use this kind of set up. My question is, can the 35A series fitler be modified such that you could mount a catch bag on the closed end like this one from JDS?

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=26

clearvue mini

I have heard that clearvu has stopped selling the mini because they have been sued by Oneida. I went to the clearvu site to get info in the mini06 and they say they have stopped selling them because they got a letter from Oneida claiming patent infringement. They claim they started selling the mini 6 months before Oneida, but are pulling it off until the legal stuff is cleared up. Sorry to see a choice go away.

Quote Originally Posted by tom A nelson View Post
    I have heard that clearvu has stopped selling the mini because they have been sued by Oneida. I went to the clearvu site to get info in the mini06 and they say they have stopped selling them because they got a letter from Oneida claiming patent infringement. They claim they started selling the mini 6 months before Oneida, but are pulling it off until the legal stuff is cleared up. Sorry to see a choice go away.
    At this point I don't think it has progressed beyond a letter or two from Oneida.

Beyond that, I'm holding my tongue.

I'll comment on the statement on the ClearVue site.

Frankly I am surprised that Oneida, or anyone for that matter, can patent a cyclone no matter what size. They have been in the "public domain" and therefore not patentable, for many years. I believe the cotton industry was the first to employ cyclones on a large scale earlier this century. Further more, those of you who were around during the early days of home workshop cyclones, pre Bill Pentz, might remember a member of many of these and predecessor forums who did a lot of cyclone experiments including making a mini from cardboard and a peanut butter jar. He eventually ran afoul of the cyclone manufactures who threatened him with legal action over his public challenges of their exaggerated blower claims. While not ever admitting they were wrong, all eventually changed the way they rated their motor hp and blower output. Anyway, his name was Jim Halbert and he had a shop cyclone and mini-cyclone before Oneida, PSI, Grizzly or others even thought about neutral vanes, spiral inlet ramps, etc., etc.

Hi Ben,

I don't see why you couldn't mount the filter underneath and block off the top. The 35a filter is only open on one end so you'd need to cut a hole in the other side (which I would'nt do) but that shouldn't be necessary because I think wynn sells filters with holes in both ends. Maybe not the 35a but something similar. Give them a call and describe what your thinking and they should be able to suggest a filter.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    Mark,
    Thanks for the post. I've got the same DC and bought the SDD about a month ago. I planned on buying a Wynn 35A series cartridge filter too. Though I really like the idea of putting the DC on top of the SDD, I don't have that kind of headroom in my basement shop. About a week ago I saw an ad for a JDS dust colletctor that I thought was a brilliant solution.

Instead of mounting the filter on top and a catch bag on the bottom, they covered the upper opening, mounted the cartridge below, and put a catch bag below the cartridge. I'd really like to use this kind of set up. My question is, can the 35A series fitler be modified such that you could mount a catch bag on the closed end like this one from JDS?

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=26