Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She said "Yes!"

She said "Yes!"

Well, I had been plotting against my girlfriend of 4-1/2 years to surprise her. She had been hinting at getting married for about 6 months and I was just trying to play it off by saying "Yea, yea. In time..." (she took the bait). She went so far as to "curb" my major tool purchases until she had a ring on her finger.

So the setup: I told her that there was a guy in the area where we met that was selling some cherry really cheap, so we HAD to go! She almost didn't go claiming that it was under the tool purchase umbrella. I thought otherwise (obviously) and convinced her to join me for the ride. I told her we were ahead of schedule so we could just go walk on the rocks where we spent alot of time when we first met. I then proposed to her on beautiful coast of Walpole, Maine.

As you can see below, I made the box for the ring. It is a piece of waterfall bubinga that has been laying around for a few years waiting it for something special. After making this box, I give you "box guys" alot of credit! this thing was a real pain in the butt because it is so tiny!!!!

The ring was made by my best friend's father who owns a jewelry store, which had some added sentimental value for all involved. We also included our 11 mo. old black lab Mason in the celebration.

I had also planned to have all of our family and friends to surprise her back at the our house upon our return. So as planned, i surpised her 2 fold, there is little better than that!

Thanks for looking,
    Nick

PS: we are currently planning the wedding for the summer of 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NICK BARBOZA; 06-03-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Congrats Nick, and a very nice box too
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Congrats!

Have you ever heard of "wedding cake disease"? Don't let her eat any.

Todd

Congratulations!

Thats a great story, hope you have many years of happiness together!
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Congrats!

Have you ever heard of "wedding cake disease"? Don't let her eat any.

Todd

I'm no doctor.... whats that???
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Congratulations, that's a great story. That said, and this being the 'creek, now that the tool ban is up, what are you after? Does Rockler or Woodcraft have a wedding registry?

Please tell me you didnt forget the cherry lumber!

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    I'm no doctor.... whats that???
    Wedding cake has a way of changing a woman...

Congrats! and good job on the proposal as well as the box.

Congrats Nick.
    I'm sure the lady in your life was very impressed.

If you didn't get the cherry now would be a good time to go back.....

Congratulations. I wish you and your bride to be many happy years together.

See this as one example:

http://www.ajokes.com/jokes/2605.html

You can pretty much blame "her eating wedding cake" for anything she changes her attitude on (adversely to you) throughout the years.

For instance, the day after your wedding, she might turn to you and tell you to sell all your tools. Blame that on the wedding cake. Etc.

Todd

It always amazes me what we will do so that we can buy more tools. Congrats.

Nick, you have started a very dangerous trend - doing woodworking projects to achieve a positive result from your soon to be wife. There is no end to this. I see a flood of furniture projects in your future just to be able to get good hot meals She now knows how the system works - no mercy!!

Congrats!! And, may the years be good to you. We just attended the 70th wedding anniversary of an uncle and aunt! I think he learned early on who called the shots - and life was so much easier after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Cowan View Post
    Does Rockler or Woodcraft have a wedding registry?
    Ya know, I was wondering that myself....

I Understand the "wedding cake" thing now too. I'll have to keep my eye on this one and document some things pre-wedding cake for future events. haha

Unfortunately the guy with the cherry was a just a facade to get her to join me on the drive. But I sure wish there was a guy selling a ton of prime cherry for a couple bucks a foot... Oh well... the search continues!

Tim: Believe it or not on the ride home she actually asked the exact same question! who'd-a-thunk a little ring would free up a whole bunch of money??? To answer the question: I will probably an upgrade my bandsaw to a Laguna 16HD or something along those lines.

If all I have to trade for a hot meal and companion is spend some time in the shop... thats a no brainer!!! i look forward to many years of hot meals and fine furniture!

thanks for all of the kind words everyone!
    Nick

How do you know you're a woodworker?

When you spend more time thinking about the box than the rock that goes in it.

Congratulations. Good luck finding time for your craft now! It's all downhill from here!!!