Thread: Which wood would a woodchuck pick..?

Question Which wood would a woodchuck pick..?

if the woodchuck was building a fireplace surround and mantle?

No to MDF because I don't want to deal with the dust and the weight. So I was wondering about some good quality plywood, or pine (what quality) or poplar? I'm planning on cutting a 1 1/2" rabbet on the inside edge of the pilaster and architave to simulate being mounted on a backing board.

Ideas? Opinions? Thanks.

woodchucks are partial to sasafrass and black cherry

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    but would you paint over that? that stuff is hard to come by in my neck of the woods....

If you're painting it, poplar.

Ditto on the poplar.

Same here, poplar's pretty easy to work and fairly inexpensive here, ideal for paint or stains.

Jude

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Woodmizer HQ is here in Indy and sells poplar, cherry, oak plus all types of moldings and some plywoods at pretty good prices. Plus they carry unusual lengths if you need them like 14' 16' & longer. Nice thing is they also will sharpen your table saw blades, so I can get expert service locally.

BTW why do folks here call the home stores "the borg"?

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Sorry I didn't say this was going to be painted.

I'd say whatever is smooth, tight-grained, and cheap in your area. Poplar is a good choice. So is select (clear) pine. Oak, for instance, is not a good choice.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out the use of MDF for wide or long runs. It may be slightly more dusty, but certainly manageable. Just wear a mask. Weight isn't generally an issue unless you are using a significant portion of a sheet.

As for plywood, birch paints up very well and is generally cheapest around here. Poplar, maple, and A-grade pine would also work.

Of course, this changes if you want to maintain the possibility for someone to strip the paint and go with a natural wood finish at some point in the future.
    Last edited by Shawn Christ; 06-06-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whit richardson View Post

BTW why do folks here call the home stores "the borg"?
    Several possible origin stories:

1) B.O.R.G. = Big Orange Retail Giant, referring specifically to Home Depot (orange), as they're the biggest purveyor of home improvement products

2) More generically, BORG = Big 'Ol Retail Giant, referring to any such store

or

3) Borg, as in the species from "Star Trek" that assimilate everything they come across, turning it into their own. A Home Depot comes to town, and the local hardware store and lumber yards go out of business (or have to lower quality to compete on price with HD)

Thanks again guys. I can understand about the Home Depot reference. When I lived in Milwaukee there was only one store in 97' and in one year they invaded with at least seven stores at every point on the compass.

Anyway I think poplar is my choice since it's available and cheaper than clear pine plus since I'll be creating a rabbeted inside edge a solid wood will work best. The edge is to provide an appearance of being mounted on a backing and add some depth to the look. Lastly when or if we sell and move I don't care what the next guy does. ;-)