Thread: Craftsman lathe

Craftsman lathe

I am working on a friend who has the above and is not using it. I'm hoping I can get it for trade or around $100. it is the lathe that has the round tube stock base. not sure of the size but is a pretty standard light duty lathe.
    Would this be decent for me to start out with? or is it to finicky and light duty to only cause me grief?
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

If you can get it for a trade value of around $50.00 it would be worth it.

With the Lowes clearance on the Delta Mini Lathe for $169.00 with full warranty it wouldn't be worth it to spend the $100.00 on an unknown.

From what I've heard from other woodworkers - it isn't totally a bad unit for light duty stuff if you aren't looking to do lots and lots of turnung. I would say if you can get it for around $50.00 it would be worth it.

Make sure it has a standard Morse Taper in the Headstock & Tailstock and threads on the headstock that are common so that you can accessorize the unit.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Does it include any turning tools ?? If so, offer the value of the tools, if the lathe turns out to be a dog, at least you have the tools.

Lathes are relatively inexpensive, it's the tools that will gouge you.
    Tony

I had a lathe just like that at one time. It's great to "start" learning on and with a faceplate, you can even turn some small bowls to get a better feel for lathe work. If you plan on turning some pens, it's a good starter lathe to get "your feet wet" in the round spinning world.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks fellows. I'll see what happens. it does come with the tools so that helps.

I havent been able to find the delta at Lowes for the price but will keep on looking. What is the overall length of the Delta midi with the bed extention? is it capable of doing as much as the Craftsman?
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker