Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Very strange unisaw electrical problem and solution

I think this thread should be closed. This is ridiculous.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Armstrong View Post
    Yeah, typically they use overload heaters in the unisaw. It depends on the design, though. My overload heater tripped a couple of times but the circuit breaker was usually the first to bat.
    Okay, so my next question is, how much damage can one be doing to those windings in light of the built-in protection?

Rick, in your message you stated that the fragile insulation on the windings (don't they use just plain old varnished magnet wire?) were being deteriorated by the heat from the excess current. Does the overload method employed by these motors not offer adequate protection to the windings?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    Mike, If you want my respect, then answer my questions instead of sidestepping them.

Your tangents are effective when communicating with the ill-informed--they don't work on me.

Answer my questions and we can move forward.

You won't answer my questions because you can't, so don't try to BS me. I have explained the basis for my assertions, and it is you that has failed in this area. You pretend that you have answered the deficiencies of your postings, but you have not. Like Nixon's famous "Checkers" speech, you have sidestepped the topic without answering it. You are the consummate politician, but as an engineer, you have completely failed to support your argument.

I am not a politician and I do not get falsely swayed by rhetoric.

Answer my questions!
    I did not ask for your respect, Rick, just for some courtesy.

I agree with Myk. This thread should be closed.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-07-2009 at 6:52 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I agree with Myk. This thread should be closed.
    I agree. If a discussion is won on the merits of a popularity contest, then this one has been resolved and should be closed. I am not here to win popularity contests, and on that note, I admit absolute defeat.

On the other hand, since that is not how discussions are resolved, then this one has not been resolved, and you have failed to respond to the points I have made. And it is not as though you have sidestepped one or two minor points of my discussion, but have sidestepped every point of my discussion.

I could understand this if I was an uneducated crackpot shooting out wild speculation on a topic, but we both know that I understand this area, and moreover, I have a reputation for going after the facts.

You talk about respect, yet you have not respected me by not answering a single one of my questions. I even made it easy by numbering my original core questions, yet you never addressed a single one of them.

If your assertion is so strongly based in fact, then why can't you address any of my questions. As one engineer to another, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    You talk about respect, yet you have not respected me by not answering a single one of my questions.
    I never mentioned "respect" except to say that I do not care whether you respect me or not. What I asked for is courtesy.

It's clear that you have no interest in figuring out what happened with Matt's motor. All you seem to be trying to do is "show up" someone else. I've described in detail what I think happened, including parts that I cannot answer because I don't have enough data. I would offer to address any questions you might have, but I can see that no matter what I say, and how much I say, or what outside information I bring in, you will just keep finding something to harp on.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-07-2009 at 8:54 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The motor has TWO capacitors, one being the start, and the other being the run. After the start cap. spilled it's guts, the run cap. was still in the circuit, furnishing enough "kick" to very slowly bring motor up to speed, thus resulting in an overload at breaker box. The breaker continued to get hotter until it tripped. As for hearing the start switch kick in, with the motor humming loudly, and being a TEFC motor, my old ears would have a hard time hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    The motor has TWO capacitors, one being the start, and the other being the run. After the start cap. spilled it's guts, the run cap. was still in the circuit, furnishing enough "kick" to very slowly bring motor up to speed, thus resulting in an overload at breaker box. The breaker continued to get hotter until it tripped. As for hearing the start switch kick in, with the motor humming loudly, and being a TEFC motor, my old ears would have a hard time hearing it.
    Bruce, if you check Matt's original posting, he reports the motor came up to speed only a bit slower than it normally did. After it got up to speed, Matt reported higher than normal current. From his description, the excess current was not during statup, but afterwards.

I agree with you that the run cap was enough to get the motor started, since the motor was unloaded.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    As for hearing the start switch kick in, with the motor humming loudly, and being a TEFC motor, my old ears would have a hard time hearing it.
    The motor was turned off and winding down when he heard the switch.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

9. It is simple, and I already proffered this in a previous posting. Put the original capacitor back in the motor. If the motor starts and stays running for over 1 minute, three consecutive times, without user intervention, then I eat crow.

Trip the circuit breaker or the motor overloads (as already described by Matt as both had occurred) and Mike eats crow.

It doesn't get any more cut and dried than that.