Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Table saw vibration

Smile We fixed the table saw vibration!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Brad, in the early '90s I refurbished an ugly, rusty Rockwell Model 10 CS, which is basically still the same saw you have. I used an article in FFW #78, p.69, to guide me through dismantling the saw for cleaning and painting, reassembling and adjusting. For reference, get an exploded parts diagram for your saw if you don't already have one.

Sounds like the trunnions are not adjusted snuggly to disallow any racking motion when the saw is tilted. That article suggested using a pipe clamp to hold the trunnions and saw carriage firmly together while bolting it all to the top. There should be no slop or play between the trunnions and carriage. In addition, was suggested to replacing the trunnion bolts with hardened Grade 8, so extra torque could be applied for secure attachment. Your new saw is not worn at all, but only needs a complete adjustment to bring it up to *specs*!

IF you do not have access to FWW Archives or Online, PM me with your email, and I will send the article, as well as I could capture it, since FWW only allows printing of the Archive pages.

I received the information on adjusting the trunnion. Page 2 of the FWW archives(via pmail) provided enough information for me to adjust the BACKLASH(as it states). I loosened up a locknut and turned the eccentric until there was no more play between the tilt shaft assy(#261 on my part drawing) and the front trunnion(#250).

Originally when I checked for free-play, the motor and belt were still hooked up to the arbor(at the bevel angle of greatest vibration) and I could not sense any looseness by hand. BUT, by removing the motor and pulley, I felt slop between the trunnion and the tilt shaft mechanism! So this is what I failed to do-thus I could not locate the cause of the vibration!

Well, I had the parts list for my saw and using page 22 of the user manual I performed the BACKLASH ADJUSTMENT for the BLADE TILTING MECHANISM.

AFTER performing this 30 minute adjustment(I did not have to remove the table or anything, just the motor and belt- THE VIBRATION PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!

Thank you all for your help and many thanks to the web site for allowing this to happen
    Last edited by Brad Harper; 06-07-2009 at 8:40 PM. Reason: moved sentence up, added color,added info

Brad, glad you got it fixed. I was watching on the sidelines hoping with the video that you posted someone here would know exactly what was wrong.