Thread: Storing chemicals and flamables?

Storing chemicals and flamables?

I am hoping maybe one of you fine folks can suggest a good way to SAFELY store chemicals, and flamables like gas, gas / oil mix, Mineral spirits, paint thinner, insecticide etc...

I have been looking, and I am not sure I am even looking under the right search terms, for a "safety cabinet" or something like that...

I'd really rather not burn down my shop or the house it's attached to you know?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Airtight metal containers for me. On high shelves.

David,
    Look for one of the yellow metal storage boxes. Graingers has them, they are fire department (and insurance company) approved for storage of flammable liquids.

Note that they are primarily designed to keep fire away from the flammables inside, not to keep the flammables from burning.

Still, this is the OSHA approved method of flammables storage.

If all else fails, contact your local fire department and ask them.

Mike

BTW, I am personally far more concerned about sawdust and electrical boxes, but that is just me. mh
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Those safety cabinets frequently show up in auction listings. I've thought about building a small shed out next to the propane tank to store the gas cans, diesel cans, and extra propane cylinder. But I've never done it.

Finishing products I'm not all that concerned about personally. Hobby woodworkers keep fairly small quantities in small containers. They aren't going to spontaneously explode. All they are going to do is feed a fire that started some other way. And that fires going to have to get pretty hot before they do. The propane, natural gas, or heating oil lines must of us have in our homes and shops are going to do more to feed a fire than a few cans of stain, mineral spirits, etc.

5. I store a lot of chemicals for work in an Eagle Safety cabinet, 45 gallon size. I recommend these in smaller sizes for hobbyists not just because of fire but also fumes. Until I got one I never realized how much they did with fumes. I agree that natural gas, propane and gasoline for yard tools are dangerous but some of the solvent based finishes are even more volatile. Denatured alcohol is used as motor fuel for small engines and some dragsters. I don't want to be around another flame up with that stuff again, DAMHIK. You can find safety cabinets on Ebay and other sites pretty reasonable especially in urban areas.
    Good luck,
    DP

I see the safety cabinets on Craigslist occasionally.
    David B

David,
    One of the woodworking magazines had ans article about building a fire resitant storage container about 4 to 7 years ago.
    Seems it was two layer of 3/4" plywood, or something to that effect.
    Would probably start with secure 3/4" interior and 5/8" gypsum exterior.
    Rich S.

[QUOTE=David Hostetler;1149648]I am hoping maybe one of you fine folks can suggest a good way to SAFELY store chemicals, and flamables like gas, gas / oil mix, Mineral spirits, paint thinner, insecticide etc...

Here is Grainger's version. I use one at work. We are required to vent ours to outside. I have seen plans in WOOD mag to build one.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5U736