Thread: Dust Collection Choices

Dust Collection Choices

I am at a cross road to choose either a cyclone or a unit with plastic bag and canister? I have 220v service available and an overhead JDS 2000 airtech filter. So basically my question is to go with a 2HP cyclone or 2HP regular one.

Shop Equipment
    Jet JWTS-10 Tablesaw
    Ridgid 6" Jointer
    Ridgid 12" Planer
    Drill Press
    Router Extension table
    Jet Mini Lathe

Any thoughts? Space is sort of a concern but I would prefer a permanent solution I do not have to lug around.

I recently had the same choice to make and went with the Grizzly 1.5 Cyclone as, like you, I wanted a fixed system. The cost nearly turned me away but now that I have the cyclone and am installing the system I just HAVE to feel good about it, right? But really, everything I've been reading and hearing tells me that a small cyclone for a small shop is something you'd never look back and think... "that was too much".

Good luck!

I went with the Clearvue based on Bill Pentz design. It is 5 hp but still 220V. I like the performance and it does not clog the outlet filters. This is part of the design. It moves enough air to carry away the fine sawdust particles. The motor is sized large enough to handle the higher air flow without running the motor above rated amps.

I have had the system for 21 months and it works well. I have not had issues with the filters yet, but I do plan to check them when I am done with my current project.

I've run an Oneida in my shop for about 8yrs, original unit, same 1.5hp motor without a problem and it does the job. I'd buy one again and recommend to anyone.

I've always heard good about the Clearvue cyclones and some of the Grizzlys as well.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

This is kinda a "big v8 vs little v8" question. Both have great power, one just has more than the other. I know that sounds kinda dumb, but... I have a Grizzly G0548 and have been very happy with its performance. It didnt break the bank(but wasnt cheap either). It has all the power I need for a cabinet saw and a 15" planer and other large tools as well. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to you. The tools you list are a little lighter-duty than mine and the collector I have has more than enough power for doing the job. If you do go the canister route, I think you'd be more than happy with this collector.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/G0548
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I had a 4 bag powermatic collector hooked up as a central unir to all my machines. Worked well. Somewhat messy to dump. Probably because I typically overfilled the bags due to it being upstairs.

I now have an Oneida 3 HP in my new shop. Have the bag gripper, and much cleaner to empty now.

John

It sounds like the Cyclone will be a good investment for now and beyond. Thanks for all the input!