Thread: Receptacle Near the TS and RT

Blog Entries

Receptacle Near the TS and RT

I use task specific blades on the TS and even if I was a 'combo blade for everything' kinda guy I would still have to change router bits now and again, right? I used to kid myself that bending over to unplug and replug the tools (safety first) was good exercise .

I caught myself a couple times having changed router bits only to find the router motor still plugged in when I went back to . . .well, plug it in . I finally took a little time and added this to power the TS and RT switches. Now safety is within easy reach and it is real obvious if I 'forgot' to unplug .

RT-TS-SWX.jpg

I imagine the same could be done for a 220v saw and a 110v RT.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good idea. American Woodworker designed a router table in the early ninties, that used a horizontal "light switch" to control the power,. Only problem was, that just by brushing against the switch, router could be turned on. I made then aware of this, and next version had a different switch arrangement. If you watched Norm's first version of the NYW Router Table (based upon design of AWW), he makes sure to use a safety switch, rather than a light switch. When I taught shop, we mounted the recpt. for the saw directly to the leg of the saw. A quick glance would tell you if it was plugged in, or not.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 06-06-2009 at 10:08 PM.