Thread: Found a Stanley #3 today

Found a Stanley #3 today

I'm trying to figure out what type of Stanley #3 this is. I'm thinking it's a type 17, but I'm not sure. My camera battery died after I got only two quick pictures, but I can take more later if it helps.

Here's some possibly relevant info.:
    1) no dates any where
    2) lateral adjuster only says "STANLEY"
    3) I really don't know much about these.

I'm trying to figure out the type so I can figure out the value as I might possibly want to sell it here. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    This looks to be from the years of WW II (type 17). That is when the hard rubber adjusters were used and the frog adjustment feature was not always included. It looks like the front knob is not rosewood. The tote may also be some other hardwood.

Some folks like these because the base may be heavier than on planes before or after the war. Some of these do have tapped holes for the frog adjustment.

This is not a high value plane. I listed one on eBay and someone who was also a member of SMC bought it for $25, shipping included, if my memory is working. He was thinking of painting it Army Green. These are great planes to "customize." Of course, a war memorabilia collector might pay more for one in original shape than a wood worker would consider paying for a user.

jim