Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable blade?

Porter Cable blade?

Hey folks...

I just got a PC 325 Mag to use with my (infamous) SmartGuide. (Go ahead, ask me how I like the SmartGuide, I dare ya ) The saw came with a nice looking 20T "Framer" blade. Anyone have any experience with this blade? Will it give me a nice cleannnnn edge or should I break down and spend the money for something like the Freud finish blade? I'm mainly interested in cutting hardwood or hardwood ply...
    Thanks for any feedback,

Paul

IMHO, the part that actually cuts the material is worth some level of investment...and you can save that framer's blade for...framing. Buy a nice blade for your CS and you'll likely further improve the performance of your saw and guide combination. Considering what you paid for the saw and other gear, it's not unreasonable to upgrade to a "woodworking quality" blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah... I know I know... I'm just hoping someone is gonna say it's a fabulous blade and save me a few bucks

So far of all the saws I've purchased with OEM blades, the only one that was worth a hoot has been the one on my Bosch 4410 and it is outstanding. Every other one has been relegated to use on pressure treated wood or lumber that may contain a nail. I suspect Jim is correct, if you're doing some framing or rough carpentry work, the OEM blade will probably meet your needs. However, for woodworking, buy one of the premium Freud, Forrest, Amana, CMT or similar blades. It will quickly pay for itself in less wasted wood due to poor cuts, longer life and a the good feeling that you get every time you use a high quality tool.

BTW, I have no affiliation with any of the brands mentioned above.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Grumble grumble... OK OK... I'll go pick one up
    Thanks for the reality check

Paul,

Being an EZ owner, you know that the whole system can take an ordinary blade and turn it into something worth 2-4x as much! How dare you not try this blade out and see for yourself!! Take the challenge...I dare you!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-17-2004 at 6:38 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

LOLLLLLLL... OK, you got me. I'll let you know the outcome

Paul ---
    I find that a 20-tooth framing blade has a strong tendency to splinter the face veneer when making cross-cuts. Also, if it is a thin-kerf blade (like many these days), it flaps around to make a wavering cut. In my shop-built rig, I use a 60-tooth 7 1/4" blade which is a little thinner than a standard tablesaw blade; it makes a kerf about .11" wide (instead of .125" for the usual 10" blade). Mine was made by Oldham -- not a high-end blade-maker -- and cost about $25 at Home Despot. It works just fine.

Jamie

Thanks for the feedback Jamie, I'm just in one of those moods where I'm getting tired of throwing buckets o' money at this "hobby"

Well, where else are you going to throw it??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Ah Heck. Go ahead and buy a good 40-60 tooth blade.
    Surely you have an empty place on your pegboard to hang the 20 tooth blade till needed. Lol
    Steve

Porter Cable blade?

Paul,

Been looking for a thread to post the following and your seems to fit.

I've had the EZ System for some 10 months now and have used it with a freud 40 tooth blade on my PC up to about 2 weeks ago. The blade with the System dad been wooking fine but the blade really needed to be sharpened. Really could tell with 6/4 oak and locust.

Someone had posted something about a new PC blade called "razor" and said that it was highly recommended. I saw and purchased, both the 7-1/4" and the 10" version and have been using both for 2 weeks now. Strange - different sound (quite) and keep checking to blade to make sure on correctly. And fast, like cutting through butter. And clean.

I just went outside and cut into some oak plywood and took a picture of it (picture 1). You'll see the cut (clean, about 5" long, bottom right of the board), the PC with the Razor blade on it and the Frued blade I was cutting with. Picture 2 is the Razor 7-1/4" blade and Picture 3 is the Razor 10" blade. According to PC: "Variable tooth saw blade design is used in sawmills and high-production factories to gain cutting speed, cleaner cut edges, less cut noise and longer life."

In the Razor pictures, I marked off the differences between teeth (hope you can read it). The hook is a positive 20 degrees made for aggressive cutting. The cost at HD for a pack of three 7-14" is $20.00 and the 10" is $40.00.

I was quite impressed and will probably keep them in my saws for a while. Note: I have both the good freud blades and a forrest 10" and even though they might cut better than the new PC blades (I can't tell), the cutting speed and ease is defenitely making my life easier.

You may want to try the blade that came with the PC and see how that works using the EZ Smart Base. And they try the PC's - if you don't like the Razors, you'll now be able to put 3 blades on your wall, sort a start on wallpapering you walls.

Regards, Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to such a mundane question. Having just dumped tons of dough on my tool addiction lately I was feeling cheap

I'll try the PC blade and let ya'all know what the results are...

Best Wishes,
    Paul

Ok, soooooooo I tried the Razor Frame blade last night. In short, amazing (due in large part I'm sure to the amazing SmartGuide ) Cut some birch ply and the face veneers were flawless. The core was a wee little bit rough but man, for a "framing" blade, it was truly astonishing. In spite of that I wanted a little cleaner cross section so I put in a Freud 40 tooth and do in fact get a cleaner core but interestingly enough I am getting a tiny bit of "fuzz" on some crosscuts on very fragile ply (did a bunch of birch veneer beadboard paneling today, the stuff splinters if you look at it funny). But I'll tell ya, for the price and speed etc the Razor is one heckuva blade...

I bet I could use a bottle cap with the SmartGuide and get a good cut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    IMHO, the part that actually cuts the material is worth some level of investment...
    I couldn't agree more with Jim's general point. With many tools the really important part is the edge that touches the timber and using good quality and keeping it sharp pays dividends on quality of result , safety and the pleasure of use.

That said - Paul - I am glad that the razor blade did a good job for you. It sure looks wierd though!