Thread: Latest project...cherry shelf

Latest project...cherry shelf

Hey folks! I finished this up about a week ago so I thought I'd share some pics. I was pleasantly surprised with how it ended up working out!

I built this for my aunt who makes jewelery. She keeps her beads in small, translucent 35mm film canisters and she wanted a shelf that would accommodate these. She wanted something with clean, simple lines to work with her style. It's made of cherry with a plywood back and finished with a few coats of danish oil. I put dadoes in the sides to hold the shelves, which are removable to allow for some reconfiguring down the road.

Cherry is such a joy to work with! I hadn't used it much before this project but I can see why so many people love using it. And the danish oil really made the subtle curl pop (at least when you see it in person!).

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done! I assume you cut the dadoes in a wide piece, and then ripped to size for the side and middle?

Nicely done and certainly looks like it would fit the function you mentioned. I have a similar task ahead as my wife crochets baby outfits.. blankets.. etc and sells on-line for high end baby showers. She has tons of what she calls scans of yarn that requires a way of organizing them or they take on the look of a lazy man's garage.

Sarge..