Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro and BS replacement motor advice

Intro and BS replacement motor advice

I don't think I've posted here yet, but have been lurking for quite some time. Very nice community you have here and I have learned a TON from just reading.

I'm still setting up shop and building small things but will try and post some pictures soon.

I recently purchased a used Delta band saw (28-245). It's in awesome shape, but I'd like to replace the 1/2 hp motor (I'd like to add a riser for resawing and a new motor pully per iturra design to speed up rpm's).

I'm looking at 2 motors (can't afford a baldor they are $250+, too expensive for me right now) and was wondering if y'all had any opinion one way or another, or perhaps an alternative I haven't considered.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G2534
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47026

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

--
    Jim Hinze
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-20-2004 at 11:19 AM. Reason: removed direct links in signature line --- violates SMC Terms of Service

Thumbs up Welcome!

Jim......Welcome to the 'Creek! Neat bunch of people here always willing to echange ideas and comment. Pros to beginners...they are all here! I can't offer any advice on those motors but I'm sure other members will! Again.......Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome to the Creek!

I haven't usd either of the two motors you list, but if I were buying, it would probably be from the Grizz rather than HF. (Unless you know who builds each motor - They could be the same manufacturer.)

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Greetings Jim Hinze and <b>Welcome to Sawmill Creek!!!!</b>

It's really a great place to be. Please take some time now to review the SMC Terms of Service. I would like to see you edit your Signature and remove the references to the links of your sites. This is not allowed as it could be taken as commercial advertising for free.

If you want these links to be available to those that are curious enough to search them out, please make them a part of the Personal Profile.

I used to be a weight lifter....now I just carry "weight" around every where I go.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Greetings Jim Hinze and Welcome to Sawmill Creek!!!!

It's really a great place to be. Please take some time now to review the SMC Terms of Service. I would like to see you edit your Signature and remove the references to the links of your sites. This is not allowed as it could be taken as commercial advertising for free.
    I edited the post - thanks Dennis
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Jim,

Welcome to the Creek!

I'd stay away from import motors. They traditionally don't do as good a job on the "dip and bake" as the American motors. For the prices you're looking at paying for the Gizz 1.5HP, you could do way better on ebay.

Here's a 5HP for the same price (3450RPM, would actually want to pulleyit down a bit). Emerson 5HP motor

For about $200, you could buy a Variable Frequency Drive + a 1 - 1.5HP 3-phase motor and give yourself true variable speed.

Be really careful about swapping motors. You need to make sure the frame size is the same and, in the 56 frame size, there are face mount motors which aren't what you want. One advantage of the 3-phase/VFD solution is that 3-phase motors are reversible, so rotational direction isn't an issue.

Rob

First, thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies to my post this morning, this place is truely friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    I would like to see you edit your Signature and remove the references to the links of your sites. This is not allowed as it could be taken as commercial advertising for free.
    Please forgive me. Those are not in my profile, I added them in as part of the introduction. Neither site is commercial in orgin, APF just a governing body and cryptgym is in my home (private).

I will review the "terms of service" and ensure no further slip-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Jim,
    Here's a 5HP for the same price (3450RPM, would actually want to pulleyit down a bit). Emerson 5HP motor
    Rob
    Thanks ROB! I don't have 3 phase capability at home. The current motor is a NEMA 56Z (the Z say they altered the shaft somehow).

At any rate, more looking and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Which might be perfect. I'm going to keep looking but that looks viable. I already did the math for the pulley's, I'd need about a 2" on the motor and 6" on the wheel shaft to get about 4000 fpm using a 3450rpm motor. Both pulley's are realtively inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hinze
    I don't have 3 phase capability at home.
    That's the point of the VFD. Most VFD's can take single-phase 240v input and generate the 3-phase for you, plus give you the advantage of true variable speed.

That's the point of the VFD. Most VFD's can take single-phase 240v input and generate the 3-phase for you, plus give you the advantage of true variable speed.
    Wow... things you learn. Did not know that. Thanks very much.

Jim,
    If you are not in a hurry, eBay is the place to go. For my recent BS "recreation" I used a 1-1/2HP Baldor TEFC motor off eBay - new in the box. I paid less than $100 including shipping. I have found a number of other motors both AC and DC for a good price. I recently picked up a 2HP Baldor used for $35 - it looks almost new. I usually search specifically for "Baldor". If you can wait, the deals are out there - and as with any eBay auction, make sure you do your homework . Also, If you have access to a metal lathe, the Grizzly outlet has cast iron pulleys (no bore) for dirt cheap.

Good luck - wish I had found that old Delta to renovate!

Wes

In addition to EBAY, many of the so-called "surplus" outfits often have new or nearly-new motors available at attractive prices.

And welcome aboard!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome aboard, Jim...glad to have you wade in any time. Appreciate the "pics" note...you've obviously read AND paid attention!

Don't mind Rob "3-phase/NEC" Russell...he is still trying to get the entire state of Connecticut to switch all residental homes to 3-phase electricity....

I often wonder why residential homes do not get 3-phase as the norm? How is it in Europe?

Anyway, as the other said, eBay is a good place but check your local electrical supply houses...they often have surplus motors.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Don't mind Rob "3-phase/NEC" Russell...he is still trying to get the entire state of Connecticut to switch all residental homes to 3-phase electricity....

I often wonder why residential homes do not get 3-phase as the norm? How is it in Europe?
    Ya know Chris, I'd be happy if I could get 3-phase in my shop, fugetabout anywhere else! For that matter, I'd be happy just to get my phase convertor done and shop cleaned up so I could do some woodworking. Summer's almost over, so we'll be around more ...

FYI, 3-phase residential is pretty common in some parts of Europe. Because 3-phase motors are more efficient it reduces demands on the power grid.

Because 3-phase motors are more efficient it reduces demands on the power grid.
    That is what I gather but I don't think I've ever heard of residential 3-phase here in the US. Why is that?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.