Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoodRiver #3 cap iron problem

WoodRiver #3 cap iron problem

Hi All,
    So I've followed the cap iron threads, seen the Japanese video, and read David W's article along with the other camp's views. I've tried it and it works well for me in controlling tear out, not too problematic in getting set up (gets faster with practice), so it is the standard on my #4 and have used it on my #7 on occasion.

I got a nearly new WR#3, V3, from the classifieds on SM creek to give to my 9 yr old for Christmas. I just got around to tuning it for him a couple of nights ago and by default, set the cap iron close. Then I found a problem with the cap iron - when the cap iron is set to a hair less than 1/64" (magnifying glass measurement) the iron will not extend to below the sole. The cap iron is against the lever cap screw. To get shavings, the cap iron needs to be at least 1/16" back from the cutting edge. The pictures illustrate the problem.
    WR3 cap iron (2.0).jpgWR3 cap iron (2.1).jpgWR3 cap iron (2.2).jpgWR3 cap iron (2.3).jpgWR3 cap iron (2.4).jpgWR3 cap iron (2.5).jpgWR3 cap iron (2.6).jpgWR3 cap iron (2.7).jpg

I saw a review on the Woodcraft page complaining of the same problem. I went by the local Woodcraft store and they pulled a new one apart and it had the same issue. We got a new Hock cap iron out and compared - it was 3/32" to 1/8" longer from the cap iron screw hole to the leading edge. I called customer service last night based on the store's recommendation and they referred me to tech support so I'll try them Monday. It appears to me they have a QC problem.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, how has Woodcraft handled it?

William

So, it would work if you lengthened the hole in the cap iron or shortened the blade a bit? Either should be relatively easy to accomplish - the blade shortening would require a grinder - the hole, a dremel or maybe just a file.

I haven't used a WR plane, but the cap iron was clearly not drilled/slotted in the right place. Lie Nielsen had the same problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if the hole locations on those cap irons came off of a lie nielsen set.

It would not be easy to file that, but it won't be too hard to do it (if you really had to) as long as it's not hardened. Doing a neat job of it would be a little harder, though, and unless you file a lot, the iron will still be near the end of its travels on the adjuster, which makes for funny adjusting (my LN 7 is that way).

The head of the cap screw will also limit how much you can file.

Wish the manufacturers of the "improved" planes would've been up to speed with using the cap iron, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    So, it would work if you lengthened the hole in the cap iron or shortened the blade a bit? Either should be relatively easy to accomplish - the blade shortening would require a grinder - the hole, a dremel or maybe just a file.
    The problem is independent of the length of the blade, strictly based on how far the cap iron can go toward the mouth of the plane.

I see. I was thinking it might be a "when set up" the relationship of blade to cap iron meant the full length blade was a smidge long relative to the cap iron length.

Sean,
    I agree that it isn't a big problem. My first thought was to lengthen the hole but the cap iron screw will hit next - the OD of the head is closer than 3/64" to the hole. If Woodcraft doesn't have an easy fix - like "we know there is a problem and will ship a proper new cap iron to you", then I'd figured I would just grind the blade back 1/4" or so to make it work.

So I suppose I posted it as an FYI for others who may have a similar problem (I have learned lots from this forum) and I suspect WoodCraft people look at the forums to what users think of their products and customer service - so in a way as a spur for them. I think they have a long way to go to get close to the quality and service of LN or LV. However I like to be able to lay hands on something before I buy it, so the local option also appeals to me.

William

It is the chipbreaker slot hanging up on the levercap screw, isn't it? Not the slot in the cutting blade? So you need to file the chipbreaker slot, and luckily that isn't hardened. I would file it quite a lot, so your adjuster ends up at a reasonable setting, not all the way at the end.

Edit, just read your last message and I can see how the screwhead gets in the way next.

Quote Originally Posted by william sympson View Post
    Sean,
    ..then I'd figured I would just grind the blade back 1/4" or so to make it work.
    Yeah, don't do that. The problem will be the same and it'll take a lot of effort. You could do it to prove it, though!

Too slow in my reply to Sean's post. Reading David's response, and looking more closely, he's correct - shortening the iron won't work. Unfortunately the cap iron screw rim OD to too close to the hole, so filing the hole out won't quite get enough clearance.

You guys are too fast with the posts!

David, agreed that filing will yield only a marginal improvement and be near the end of its adjustment travels. I do wish they would catch up with using the cap iron. One of the WC store guys said that I had the cap iron too close and should be set back much more - like he does it - and then it would work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by william sympson View Post
    One of the WC store guys said that I had the cap iron too close and should be set back much more - like he does it - and then it would work.
    Don't you love it when the way to fix an improperly made item is to not use it in the way it should be able to be used?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeah, he (the WC guy) should stick to passing items over the counter and taking money in return. If they'd have made the cap iron properly, the plane would literally be a single plane that could smooth everything you ever need to plane.

You might try an old stock stanley cap iron in the interim to see if there is enough space between the hole and the end of the cap iron for it to reach to the cutting surface. there's no guarantee that would work, though, either, because some of the holes on the LN stuff were drilled differently than the stock stanley cap irons and the "improved" cap iron from LN didn't fit on an 8 that I had years ago - it came up....way short.

If you have a stock one laying around, it won't hurt to try it, though. Despite the claims of various places describing "improved" performance, I guarantee with the cap iron set right, you won't get close to having chatter, because there is none on a stock stanley with an iron that's much thinner and probably a touch softer.

How about drilling and tapping a new hole for the capiron screw? Just a little above the old one? And then drilling and filing to enlarge the slot? Maybe there won't even a need to enlarge the slot when youmove the screwhole.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    How about drilling and tapping a new hole for the capiron screw? Just a little above the old one? And then drilling and filing to enlarge the slot? Maybe there won't even a need to enlarge the slot when youmove the screwhole.
    Then one would have to patch and make a new hole for the depth adjustment lever.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, hopefully the Company knows there is a problem. To the credit of the other WC guy looking at the issue, he said he didn't have any experience with hand planes but did see what I was pointing out - it became clearer to him when we put the Hock cap iron on it. So, I just chalk the other's comments up to ignorance - same as I had several months back - the problem with guys like him is that they can't seem to open the mind enough to learn beyond their own experiences.