Thread: bathroom vanity

bathroom vanity

Hey guys, This is my first attempt at building a bathroom vanity (which I'm doing it for a friend of mine). Any comments and tips would be welcome. A few notes about the drawing. 1) I got lazy making the right cabinet door so it's just the left flipped so it's not quite symmetrical. 2) the Drawer pull isn't quite centered. 3) The cabinet will be against the wall on the right hand side so I didn't put an over hang on that side; should I? Other than that it should be as built. Thanks in advance.
    Matt

width 36"
    depth 21"
    height 31"
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would build the right front of the face frame, and left rear with a lip so that you can scribe it and trim to fit tight to the wall. Walls are never strait.
    Scott

Are you using glass doors so you can see the plumbing?

The glass will be a frosted glass or something equally opaque. I just didn't have the energy to put that in . As to the scribing, I thought about making a filler strip instead of actually scribing the box. Especially since this would be the first time I'm doing it. I left the back with a 1/2" relief for scribing. Should I leave more?
    Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wolboldt View Post
    I left the back with a 1/2" relief for scribing. Should I leave more?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    If you have enough energy to check the wall, that will tell you if you need to leave more than 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wolboldt View Post
    .. As to the scribing, I thought about making a filler strip instead of actually scribing the box. ...
    Making a filler strip to do that job would be difficult. The problem will be that you have trouble holding on to the strip while you shape it to fit the wall. If you prefasten the strip to the cabinet, then it holds still while you beat on it. A prefastened filler strip is a scribe strip.

The other way to deal with a non-flat, non-vertical wall is to use a piece of molding to cover the gap. That's easier than scribing. The kinds of people who read this forum tend to think it looks sloppy.

Hi matt,

I noticed that your cabinet is only 31" high, and you have a drawer across the bottom. I don't know how tall your toe kick, and drawer is. Just make sure that you have enough room to install the sink drain. By having the drawer across the bottom it brings the floor of the cabinet up high.

With a 36" cabinet I would not consider a filler strip. Scribe or use molding.

Sam