Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finishing OSB

I just painted my osb in the garage with 2 coats of standard semi-gloss white (cheap commercial white). Good enough for the garage. it's not close to perfect.

OSB was cheaper than drywall at the time and if I want to hang something, I can just screw it anywhere on the walls.

OSB Walls

Recently M.O.L. finished putting 1 1/2 - 2 coats of PVA Primer (Glidden) on my shop walls. 7/16" OSB. The PVA Primer was recommended by David Baker and a couple others in some earlier posts on this general topic. Still burning up last bit of a can going back over mill marks and shiny side/s of large chunks.
    Looks very decent. I'm not sure if I intend to go back over it with paint or not. In the process of getting ready to paint the window casings on one end wall, started messing around skim coating the voids in the web of the OSB with caulk. There are some spots in that material that are hard to get to with brush or roller. Anyhow, the caulk made it white and I figure had to seal OSB with respect to offgassing at least as well as the primer. Not going to worry about seams until I get the last couple pieces of OSB up over back door. May post pic at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    One "finishes" OSB by putting sheetrock over it! LOL....
    Too funny!! I did a garage for a guy last year who used OSB for the walls, we covered the joints with lathe strips then painted. Worked out fine.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I primed my walls last nite with Kilz. OSB is some ugly stuff. I had half a mind to skim the walls with some joint compound, until LOML walked into the basement and piledrived me back to sanity.

OSB + Kilz (2 coats) + 1 coat latex.

After all said and done, you hardly notice the seams, and the texture is barely noticeable unless up close.

pics here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...988#post890988

Beware the Kilz! That stuff stinks for weeks.

Blog Entries
    Hind sight is always best. Zinsser BIN airs out in a couple hours.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I also used OSB on my walls, (and ceiling). I wrestled with idea of painting for a couple of weeks. I could not convince myself that it would look better, so in the end I left it unfininshed. So far I love it! Sure, OSB is some ugly stuff, but it looks wood shoppy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hankins View Post
    OK, I'll be the dummy who admits to this. I too used OSB in my shop and painted it white. Thing is the red and blue lines bled through. Even with two coats of Zinsser High Hide. So now my shop is appropriate for any baby shower! Oh well, the saw dust will cover it soon. But you won't catch me posting any pics!!

Matt
    I used just one coat of a Sherwin Williams primer - Problock HS Intrior Alktd, #6012-26293 or it has B49W820 on the can. The HS stands for high solids and does a great job of covering anything from bleeding through and it also smooths out the rough texture of the OSB to a good extent.

I then followed up with an interior laytex from Ace Hardware. Turned out great. In the rare cases of a small gap at the seams (hey, nobody is perfect) I did use a white acrylic caulk before the primer.
    Last edited by Dan West02; 08-13-2009 at 7:16 PM.

I took a router and beveled the edges where the OSB meet in my shop and it looks good to me. I thought it better to dress up the seams, because it would be hard to hide them. I would thinks that filling the seams would leave cracks over time.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    I took a router and beveled the edges where the OSB meet in my shop and it looks good to me. I thought it better to dress up the seams, because it would be hard to hide them. I would thinks that filling the seams would leave cracks over time.
    Jack
    I also toyed with the idea of treating the seams. But once painted, and especially once stuff's up on the walls, I don't notice the seams at all.

I have an office in my commercial shop building that I took over, it had osb in it already. Take a bucket of drywall mud, dump 2/3 out into another bucket, add 1/3 kilz or your choice primer and 1/3 water, mix to get the mud thinned and paint a couple coats on it. The mud helps fill in all the voids. Enough coats will make it smooth as drywall.

My uncle in the drywall biz put me onto this. Worked well.

Good luck with it.
    Greg Pierce, CTP
    LawnmastersLLPC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pierce View Post
    I have an office in my commercial shop building that I took over, it had osb in it already. Take a bucket of drywall mud, dump 2/3 out into another bucket, add 1/3 kilz or your choice primer and 1/3 water, mix to get the mud thinned and paint a couple coats on it. The mud helps fill in all the voids. Enough coats will make it smooth as drywall.

My uncle in the drywall biz put me onto this. Worked well.

Good luck with it.
    Interesting.