Thread: Ambrosia Maple & Walnut Humidor

Blog Entries

Ambrosia Maple & Walnut Humidor

Well, this one has been up here a couple of times during the build as I posted a thread when I did the coves on the top & the bottom and then a mini PIP when I did the hinge work. You're probably getting tired of looking at this one....

This one is done and will be accompanying me on a trip to Minnesota in the very near future. An old friend has been asking me for one for a while....

Side note.... I made one of these back in February out of cherry & kingwood and It just sold today

Time to move on to the next project.... thanks for looking.

Beutiful ambrosia and you did an excellent job of wrapping that grain. Or... did you just paint it on?

Just kdding as usual as I am sure you know at this point I'm kinda addicted to kidding around.

I really do love the grain on this thing with just enough contrast in that top to high-light the piece.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sarge! By the way.... I got the Ambrosia Maple from that fella up the road here.... That small sawmill that I've told ya about.... We'll have to get up there sometime....

Ed, it turned out great. You said you were going to give the ebony inlay a bit more sanding/buffing. It paid off. This one has a very finished and warm look to it. The maple and walnut really compliment each other.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John.... I almost didn't put the ebony in there. But, I figured I needed something to transition between the maple & the walnut. Turned out OK, I think.

Ed that turned out great man!! I love to see your posts, always something really nice to look at!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Maybe soon on getting up to the saw-mill around Gainesville, Ed. I have around two weeks left on this desk-hutch as I have not pushed and been side-lined more than once with family.. yard and house. Got to change a drain in the kitchen today. But.. Hope to finish by July 1 as I stop all carcass work in July.. August to mid September when the humidity starts dropping back off.

I sometimes build a work-bench to sell and just piddle with small stuff during that time so.... I will have some much needed time to get out of the shop soon I hope if nothing else of priority comes up.

Sarge..

That is very nice! That grain wrap is really well done.

I have been thinking about making one of these eventually. Where did you get the Spanish Cedar for the lining?
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Matt....

I picked up a bunch of the Spanish Cedar from a local hardwood supplier, Atlanta Hardwoods.....

And my friend... John "Sarge" Thompson resawed all of it for me.... down to about 3/8"....

I got it for $4/bf...which is good. I had to wait about 45 minutes for somebody to bring it up from the back....

BTW Matt.. what Ed brought to me was extremely nice stock and most boards rough with straight line rip averaged around 11" wide. Spanish is pretty common at most Atllanta supplieres (five of them I believe) and not to expensive really. He paid what I pay for QSWO. I had to pick up one small board (4 board feet) to finish a hutch of QSWO the other day. I was at Woodcraft to pick up something and paid $7.60 a bd. ft. for it. My supplier's price is $4.20 a board foot but everyone else charges $6 +. Go figure as it depends on the souce.

Where are you located? You might fill in the slot on your profile as it does make it easier for someone to answer questioins in some cases.

Sarge..