Thread: Enlarging a deck

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Enlarging a deck

I have an existing deck off the back of our house. It is time to replace the decking. We want to enlarge the deck the same time that we replace the decking with composite materials. The existing deck is shown in the first photo below. The planned extension is shown in the second photo. My question is whether to remove the skirt board from the existing deck and splice on the joists for the extension to get to the new length or use joist hangers and hang teh ends on teh outside of the skirt board and build the frame for the extension as shown in the second photo. The current joists are 2 x 8. The doubled supports that run left to right are 2 x 8's as well. Hopefully you can read the dimensions.

I'm concerned whether the extension will be stiff enough with only one support beam under the new portion and the joint being just joist hangers. Will it tend to flex if several adult sized people get on the outside edge of the extension. The extension over hangs the support beam by about 25".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute