Thread: What's it worth - Powermatic model 44 14" Bandsaw

What's it worth - Powermatic model 44 14" Bandsaw

I'm looking at a nice used Pm model 44 Bandsaw. What would be a good price on a nice used one and what about a gloat? Thanks, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim young View Post
    I'm looking at a nice used Pm model 44 Bandsaw. What would be a good price on a nice used one and what about a gloat? Thanks, Tim
    I bought one from craigslist a couple of months ago.
    The seller asked for $350, and we settled on $325. I think the price I got it at was reasonable for me, but not exceptional. There weren't a lot of other buyers clamoring after the saw at the listed price.

This included a few blades, 220V wiring harness, mobile base, fast track fence (precursor to the kreg fence) and a light. The blades weren't in especially good condition and the upper wheel bearing was in bad shape. I ended up replacing all wheel bearings and all guide bearings, and getting new blades from Iturra.

With the new blades and guides, the saw cuts well. Dust collection not great, and the guide adjustment is not very well thought out. The seller had cited a magazine review of the saw and suggested that it was pretty accurate. I'd tend to agree:
    Wirkbench Magazine bandsaw review.

The guide system isn't intended for real small blades (3/16" is about as small as you'll want to go; 1/4" is better). The motor is better than a lot of the other bandsaws that I'm seeing coming on CL, and the resaw capacity is better than a stock 14" cast iron frame, although it is not further expandable.

Matt

Thank you

Hi Matt, thank you for your input. I really appreciated your comments and the link. I bought the saw. Didn't come with a fence or any uprades. But it is in very good condition. Very smooth operating BS. Tim

Congrats on the new saw. Let me know if you get a good solution for dust collection; I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

Matt

PM 44 blade choice

Hi Matt, in looking at the parts manual for the model 44 BS, it shows optional accessories... various band saw blades 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2". The length is 102". I though 14" band saw blades were 93.5". What length are you using on your Pm 44? Thanks, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim young View Post
    Hi Matt, in looking at the parts manual for the model 44 BS, it shows optional accessories... various band saw blades 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2". The length is 102". I though 14" band saw blades were 93.5". What length are you using on your Pm 44? Thanks, Tim
    The wheels are separated more for the PM 044, giving you more resaw capacity than a stock 14" bandsaw. Whatever length is in the manual is correct--102" sounds about right. It is shorter than the 105" blade that you'd normally use with a 14" saw with a riser kit installed (those usually have a 12" resaw capacity, compared to the 9" for the powermatic)

The dust port is a weird size, too.

Have you tried adjusting the lower guide bearings?

Matt

PM 44 adjustments

Not yet... I need to get a blade for it before the weekend so I can try it out. Hopefully I can find one that size. The dust port is 3". I know Equipment Sales and Surplus sale the 4" adapter and the 3" hose very reasonable. Thanks, Tim

Equipment Sales and Surplus Inc.
    1801 W Valley Hwy N #105
    Auburn Wa. 98001
    P 253-804-3211
    F 253-804-8500
    Equipmentsalesandsurplus.com