Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Texas Tele Project. Update 06-13-09

Wow, pretty impressive work. That is a great looking Tele!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McMichael View Post
    Looks great. You seem to be a big fellow did you make the nut width oversize? You can get away with a little.

Nothing like a Tele and a 5F1(tweed champ).
    Hi Kevin. Thanks! I went with standard width...1 5/8". While I am a "big fellow"...thanks for being kind , I've always played Fenders and I'm used to the spacing...though, this is my first Tele. I'm very anxious to get it finished. I played it a bit during a dry fit.

It intonated beautifully and the action, though roughed in, was pretty good. It was tough to judge the final tone since I had the bridge pup going straight to output. But, it sounded great even then.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Wow, pretty impressive work. That is a great looking Tele!
    Hi Ben. Thanks!

Peace,
    Mark

Update!!!

Reviving this old thread and continuing a build I started last year. Things have come together for this build and another I have going and I'm ready for final clear coats.

The body and neck are level sanded and ready to spray. I'll have more tonight or tomorrow.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

More pics 01-17-10

I put 4 coats of clear on yesterday. This guitar is finally showing it's personallity! I've waited a very long time on this one.

More clear today...then a level sanding before final coats.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

Ooooh...that is yummy! The character is really coming out as you add the clear coats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Update - 03-06-10

Well, after almost a year in the making, The Texas Tele is complete. I buffed it out this morning and I'm very pleased with the results. The grain really pops and it's very close to my original concept.

I went back and found a mock up shot with the full size printout taped to it and replicated the shot with the finished guitar. The flash washes it out a bit so I'll have to take some better pics tomorrow in enough light that I can turn off the flash.

Mock Up

Real Deal

Glad to have this one done. It's very easy to play and sounds pretty good. I'll post some sound clips later.

Peace,
    Mark

Excellent!

The grain really has a shimmer to it. I bet it looks even better in person.

Doug

Very nice!! I like the design.

Additional Pics

I took some pics outdoors so I could eliminate the flash. You can see the figure and carved top much better in these.

Even though this wasn't the first complete build I finished, it was the first I started. I put so much pressure on myself to make this guitar perfect, I had to put it aside for awhile and do something else. Now, I'm just enjoying the time I spend building. And I'm glad to have this one finished.

Peace,
    Mark

Wow, Mark. That's a handsome instrument! Congrats on its completion.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Now *THAT* should be a state flag....
    Play drums!