Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Labor of Love.

A Labor of Love.

Good Day To The Creek!

Well after a little over 7 months my most labor intensive project is pretty much done. For me this was really a labor of love. Mainly for the amount of time that has gone into it.
    It all started with the idea of making a few carcasses add a couple of drawers, some uppers and I would have a little storage for my hand tools. As things unfolded this project kind of grew legs and became larger and larger.
    And here is the fruit of my many nights in my shop.
    It has taken long enough that the first drawers and carcasses are darkening up nicely. May be a while but the rest should catch up.

IMG_5347.jpg

48 drawers. All hand cut and all true ½ blinds.

IMG_5350.jpg

4 sizes of drawers. The deepest being 11 ½ inches. I have never done ½ blinds that big and it was a ton of chopping.
    There must be a over 35 feet of hand cut dovetails in these drawers.

IMG_5353.jpg

I was building as I went with really no idea how it would end up.
    But a little planning got all my LN hand planes into a new home.

IMG_5360.jpg

And the saw till that was built a year ago was incorporated into the corner. It has darkened up very nicely.

IMG_5365.jpg

12 or 14 so sheets of cherry ply.
    A bunch of board feet of 4/4 cherry.
    Birch and aspen for the drawer sides.
    Baltic birch ply for the drawer bottoms.
    A big bag of pulls, knobs and hinges from LV.
    And a bunch of quarts of BLO.

The build thread was done over in the neander section. Mainly as a little tutorial on handcut dovetails. The link to that thread is http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100584

Thanks for taking a look.
    I hope everyone got a little shop time this weekend...

Last edited by gary Zimmel; 06-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Very very impressive. Your dovetail cutting skills must be very refined by now.

I enjoy the irony of spending time in your shop working on stuff just for your shop. I like it when people tell me 'thats too nice to put in the garage!', which yours certainly would qualify for that statement.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Absoulutely fantastic and much.. much more detail and finish detail than I would do for my shop. When I first viewed it before enlarging I thought these were a kitchen build as my wife would love to have similar there.

You got yourself a show shop with this build and a potential hand tool museum in progress..

Sarge..

Thanks Alex and John.

John the only way I can justify this is I spend more time in my shop than living room.

Gary.....Incredibly beautiful! I could sure use your talent and insight in my shop right now!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

nice

Fantastic job, Gary. You need to send those pics in to FWW or some other magazine for a shop or shop cabinet article. Beautiful work.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

8. Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Thanks Alex and John.

John the only way I can justify this is I spend more time in my shop than living room.
    Some things approach the level of art, and your cabinets definitely get that description from me. And, as art, they are worth whatever you put into them.

Those are magnificent!

Whewwwww!!! Let's see, 35' of dovetails, with an average of - say 15 - 16 per foot, and maybe 15-20 licks with the ol' mallet for each one, and .... and ...... well, I'm just too tired already to finish the thought!

Gary, this project has just really come together. It is well designed, even though I know it grew as it went. And, the execution...it is just fantastic.

The title is appropriate, but the byline should read something like - "Brought to you by the fine tools of Lie Nielsen, and Rob Cosman, with special instruction by Rob Cosman."

As I said before, LN and Rob should be using pics in their promotional materials.

Gary,

Quite exquisite! Was fun following your thread.
    Hope you have a lock on your shop for all of those LN Planes!
    See you in Calgary in a few weeks!

Jim

Awesome! What a great way to practice your hand tool skills, by using your hand tools for all those dovetails.

Amazing. After the first picture, I thought it was going into the kitchen. Then I spied that bench and thought "hmm, going to have to be careful moving that out of the shop into the kitchen." Then I realized it was already home!

Absolutely stunning.

Amazing work Gary!!!!
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Gary, holy cow man that is really impressive!! I cant imagine the sense of accomplishment you must feel every time you look at that. Truly a work of art and a huge labor of love!!
    Way to go!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

B e a u t i f u l

Simply gorgeous! I love it!!! Worthy of a kitchen in a mansion.. Or an executive office.