Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Box from a Pen Turner

Northwest Montana about 20 miles from Glacier National Park

First Box from a Pen Turner

I have been turning for about a year and half, but until recently only doing pens in all mediums which I love to do. I have successfully done a bowl without punching a hole in the side or bottom, and last night I did my first box, which was a blast. I know there is a ton of things that could have been done better, but I like it, and I gave it to my mom (78) who is visiting and of course she loves it! *LOL*

Please take a look, be gentle, and give me some good constructive criticism which is understandable for a self taught beginner. Thanks, and thanks for this fantastic forum.

DSCN0291.jpg

DSCN0292.jpg

DSCN0294.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Thumbs up I Looked Pretty Hard!

The only thing I could find to suggest (which could be a photo issue) are the rings on the bottom - They LOOK like they could be sharper, more well defined.
    I like the bump on the top, it's a little subtle from some perspectives, but NICE!
    Change One Thing

Good first effort!

Rick, The shape is nice the wood is a good choice and it looks to me you spent some time on the finish. If the lid fits good then you should be happy with it. The more you do the more involved they will become! I like to recess the bottoms a bit so the are not flat, but I like the rings, I see what looks like some fuzz or tearout in the rings, but that can be fixed with sharper tools and addressing the wood at a different angle. I have the same trouble some time as it is hard to sand those little buggers!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Rick, good job on the box..I like how you got the grain to match
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Looks like a great first from here, keep em coming!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Rick, good job on the box..I like how you got the grain to match
    LUCK~! *LOL*

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Rick, The shape is nice the wood is a good choice and it looks to me you spent some time on the finish. If the lid fits good then you should be happy with it. The more you do the more involved they will become! I like to recess the bottoms a bit so the are not flat, but I like the rings, I see what looks like some fuzz or tearout in the rings, but that can be fixed with sharper tools and addressing the wood at a different angle. I have the same trouble some time as it is hard to sand those little buggers!

Jeff
    Actually the lid is a bit loose with very little slop, but that was done that way on purpose. My mom would have never been able to open it, if I had made it a tight fit. Next one will be my attempt at a nice tight fit.

Rick

I think you did a fine job on the box, especially for a first. They are not as easy as they look, and as you do more they will improve. If I may, I'd suggest finding a more plain background for the photo on the next one. The embroidery distracts a bit from the piece you're displaying. A plain white or beige towel or sheet will often work just fine.

I make the lids to tight sometimes!

Rick, I know what you mean about the lids being to good a fit. I have had them shrink and get to tight and my dear wife does not like that! I have had some too where the base changes size and the lid does not. The wonders and fickle way of wood! I am sure it will be a prized possesion.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very nice!

Rick,

I think you did a very nice job with this box. I like the proportions and the simple shape. It should be easy for you mother to store whatever inside with a nice easy-open lid. (For whatever reason, most non-turners seem to prefer loose fitting lids. For most things, such boxes are easier to use.)

A very minor criticisim: it appears in the 1st and 2nd photos that you have some tear out on top of the lid and inside on the side of the box. It's very minor (and might be a shadow in the picture).

All and all, a very good box.

Rick a good looking box for your first. The rings on the botton look like some tear out but a small piece of sandpaper maybe 220 folded to fit the grooves with take care of that. Lids depend on what they are for. If I make a pills box for someone that carries it you want a suction fit. Most that will put jewelry, etc. in them don't want them tight and especially if the have arthritis in their hands. Hopefully this is one of many.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Rick - Welcome to the Creek!

David and Bernie have already pointed out the possible tear-out areas but the important thing is that your Mother likes it - what more can you ask for?

On your next turning - could you please include wood species, dimensions and finish used - as it really does help us get a better idea of the turning we are looking at. Thanks... Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Rick,

I think you did a very nice job with this box. I like the proportions and the simple shape. It should be easy for you mother to store whatever inside with a nice easy-open lid. (For whatever reason, most non-turners seem to prefer loose fitting lids. For most things, such boxes are easier to use.)

A very minor criticisim: it appears in the 1st and 2nd photos that you have some tear out on top of the lid and inside on the side of the box. It's very minor (and might be a shadow in the picture).

All and all, a very good box.
    I did have some tear out in those areas, and in spite of both sanding with the lathe spinning and by hand, I finally gave up. Any suggestions on how to deal with tear out would be appreciated.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Don Eddard View Post
    I think you did a fine job on the box, especially for a first. They are not as easy as they look, and as you do more they will improve. If I may, I'd suggest finding a more plain background for the photo on the next one. The embroidery distracts a bit from the piece you're displaying. A plain white or beige towel or sheet will often work just fine.
    Thanks for that suggestion. If you think I am an amateur at turning (and I am), my photography skills are much worse. Any suggestions to make my projects look good in a photo are definitely appreciated!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Rick - Welcome to the Creek!

David and Bernie have already pointed out the possible tear-out areas but the important thing is that your Mother likes it - what more can you ask for?

On your next turning - could you please include wood species, dimensions and finish used - as it really does help us get a better idea of the turning we are looking at. Thanks... Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Thanks for the comments Steve. I love the work you do, and really aspire to get a product even half as good as what I see you do.

As far as the wood, I believe that it was Mexican rosewood (I think?). The finish was sanded to 600 grit with regular sandpaper, and then applied two coats of simple Tru Oil. As far as dimensions, I never thought about that, and the box is now 150 miles away. I can tell you that I started out with a piece that about 5" around, and about 5" long. I will pay more attention to the details in the future.

Rick