Thread: Networking

Networking

I was saddened to read Steve's thread a while back about considering giving it all up due to the general malaise in the market place. Since then I have been thinking about something that I have offered to one member on here and wonder how many others can do the same.

There is no better time than now to be able to offer a selection of products, processes or solutions to our clients needs. There is nothing worse than someone asking if you can supply them with a vinyl sign when you don't have a cutter and can't or are concerned about using your laser to cut it, and have them walk out of the door.

Likewise there is nothing nicer than being able to say, 'yes *we* can do that for you no problem. If you'd like to let me know what exactly it is you are wanting I'll get a quote sorted for you and ring you shortly with it.'

I am fortunate that I have a good few different processes available to me that I own. I have three flat presses, three mug presses, a mug oven, a small, medium and large format dye sub printer. I have an embroidery machine with cap attachments etc. I have a vinyl printer and cutter and a separate vinyl cutter plotter. I have the laser, and outside in the workshop I have a pad printing system and hot foil press - neither of which are being used. I also have a direct to garment printer for both black or white shirts.

I've been able to offer a Creek member the facility to 'sell' these items to any clients of his that ask. 'You want 10 mugs ? no problem' - in return I am gaining massive experience within the engraving industry.

It makes me wonder how many people are 'out there' who have a dye sub setup but would love to offer their clients an engraving service. Or how many can print tshirts but not offer keyrings.

By working together and establishing a trade price between you, it could help you broaden your scope quite dramatically and bring in money for doing nothing except taking an order.

Just a thought, but I wonder if it would be of value to pick up a local phone directory, the local advertising paper etc and ring a few 'printers' out there and ask a) what services they offer and b) if they would be interesting in networking services.

It's dreadful watching so many businesses crumble because of the financial climate, when working with someone you could potentially see as a rival could actually save both of you.

Ponder over lol
    Jani

Epilog 24TT 35w
    Gerber Edge vinyl printer and cutter
    Amaya embroidery machine
    Dye sublimation
    Gjet direct to garment printer

Networking

Jani,

Is that England, as in across the Atlantic Ocean from the "colonies" England?

You make some very sound business points and some terrific logic as well. Now, let me ask you a couple of business questions. What does it cost to ship a rolled up 3' by 8' vinyl printed logo sign to California? If i ordered one tomorrow, for delivery to a client in five days, would it be delivered in time?

Hmmmm. As I said above, your business points are all valid. And it would be nice to be able to do as you are suggesting. But some of us in the engraving business, because of geography, must stick a little closer to home.

But if there's ever a time when I need to avail myself of some of your businesses capabilities etc, I'll sincerely consider it. Since joining SMC, everyone, and I mean everyone, has been extremely helpful, very gracious, and solidly in support of this forum. So because of that reason alone I will go out of my way to support each and every member. I just might be moving back to Japan in the near future and staying connected to everyone, even in England, on this forum will be extremely important both professionally and personally.

Anyone out there that is a little closer to Jani than I, who can help Jani and yourselves with a little networking?

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd
    California, USA

Jani,

I have to agree wholeheartedly with some of the points which you make. I believe that there are lots of us here on the Creek that have many different processes available to us, in-house, rather than just the laser. Like you, I have 2 single head embroidery machines, a vinyl cutter, a larger format pigment printer for doing print/cut work, a heat press, mug press, sublimation system, rotary engraver and the laser. Again like you, I have a pad printer in the shed out back not doing anything, along with a 1 station screen print system.

The point is that I too think we could likely all help each other out if we were to put out minds to it. It would certainly allow others who only have the laser available to them to add to their product offerings and perhaps gain a little more market share. Perhaps we need some kind of a formal listing which indicates what services are available and who provides them....

Something to ponder indeed....
    Colleen Williams
    Epilog Mini 18 35W, Corel Draw X3, Roland EGX-20, Roland GX-24, Brother PR600C, HP Photosmart 8850, Epson 1280 for sublimation

The reason a lot of us have all the in house doohickeys is cos of the loss of control and hassles re sending stuff to subcontractors.
    We, in my business, avoid most subcontractors like the plague due to many reasons like the sub contacting your client directly , loss of control re delivery and quality , the fact that the extra link involved adds a miasma of confusion and the fact that samples are difficult to procure. Margins are often an issue too..you generally have to be more expensive then the retail price of the subbie and the customer often find out that they can go directly to your sub or any other and get a better price. It's not as easy as taking an order on our side , we have to do the same design and sales work as if we were fabricating it , often at low margins. We also carry the can for any mess ups the subbie makes...
    In my 25 yrs of business , I have only found synergistic couplings tween suppliers of other processes if the other person is NOT in competition in ANY way with you.

The reason so many businesses are failing is cos of mismanagement , lack of market research and a lack of a business plan.
    Lasers are marketed real badly to the general public , its a "make a million in your spare time" type thing..Many other tool mnfgrs that make 20k+ tools do not market this way.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I made pretty good experiences this way. There is a shop just around the corner, I'm networking with. If they need embroideries done they come to me because the don't have embroidery equipment vise versa when I need printing services I go to them cause I don't have the printing equipment. This works fine, the real big adventure though is that they are very close so communication is easy.

Same thing I do in the embroidery business, since I'm a digitizer I'm working with other small embroidery businesses and do the digitizing for them.

I also agree with Rodne though, problems can arise quickly working with sub-contractors

Lasers are marketed real badly to the general public , its a "make a million in your spare time" type thing..Many other tool mnfgrs that make 20k+ tools do not market this way.
    I fully agree with this

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Smile

Hi again,

Yes I am 'over the water' lol - I was suggesting that this is something that could be considered on a local basis rather than sending out work which would incur shipping costs as well questionable delivery times for rush jobs. Having said that, three of the people I do work for are all for postal jobs.

Andrea has hit it directly on the head, we are talking working alongside a business nearby, someone that you can come to know and trust or already do.

With regards to having to charge more than the subby, I am not sure this is necessarily the case to be honest. We all know what the basic material costs are, and the times involved, we price accordingly to those we offer that service to on a trade basis.

My trade prices are lower than my retail prices because I am aware that both myself and the person I am working with need to make commision, and I usually consider this as bonus work that I haven't had to 'find'.

I 'do' ensure that my portion of this commision is greater, but don't abuse that, as I have done the work and they are making money for taking an order. I expect those helping me to do the same, it's all down to honesty.

We generally keep our retail prices the same and have an agreed price list so that with the majority of things we are each able to give an immediate quote. I have someone that does banner printing for me or wide format solvent printing, and someone else who will do some embroidery for me if I am pushed for time - I know exactly what they will charge me and therefore am able to include that in any quote or immediately give a price for some items.

I just feel that we all have either skills or equipment that we can or at least should be considering using to help others out at this time.

An example - Frank and I were talking about our dogs, I 'met' Reuben via a webcam, he met my two via photographs I sent him. Two days later he presented me with THE most fabulous drawings of my dogs.

My partner owns a veterinary surgery and those drawings and now proudly displayed on the consulting room wall and already getting asked about - a simple act of friendship and generosity has opened up another potential avenue for Frank as our clients ask for details.

When he did that for us he had no idea that we would put them up for public viewing in the surgery, hopefully others will commission his work now and be as thrilled with their pictures as we are.

It's all about 'passing it forward' - I believe that if you can help someone you should, there are often hidden bonuses that you don't expect as a result. Sometimes that is a forging of a business relationship, sometimes it is the start of an amazing friendship - sometimes it is the realisation that we can mutually benefit from our differing skills.
    Jani

Epilog 24TT 35w
    Gerber Edge vinyl printer and cutter
    Amaya embroidery machine
    Dye sublimation
    Gjet direct to garment printer