Thread: Welding up new band saw blades

Welding up new band saw blades

I once had a small fixture that I could clamp in a vice. It would snap cut the two adjoining ends of the saw blade with a scarf joint and butt the ends so I could silver solder them with a torch.

It wasn't nearly as good as the one on the DUAL which welded the blade ends electrically bit it worked.

I am about to order a Grizzly 17" band saw and need that fixture for making blades. I don't know what it's called nor do I know a supplier.

Once upon a time, I'd have made one in the shop. Now, however, my time ie more valuable than money so I must buy one.

Can someone help me find one please?

Thanks

Welcome to sawmill creek!

for 33 bucks you can buy this one

http://www.tufftooth.com/sure-splice.php

I bought one 3 minutes after reading your replay

Thanks Phil!

It will likely get here sooner than the new saw, A Grizzly 17"

Art

Has anyone used this method? If so, how well does it work?

John

Smile I bought the "Sure-Splice" jigging kit

It turns out that the jig suggested by both Phil and Davy are the identical device. It's sitting here on my desk having been ordered with minutes of the suggestion. It's well made. My only lament is that the postage to get it here from Canada was almost $17! That's almost half the cost of the device!

"Does it work?"

Yes it does. While I have not used this particular one, the jigging principle is old, tried and true.

Propane or Mapp, some flux paste and some silver solder will join the blades via a scarf joint that will hold under most conditions I've encountered. When one did fail it was because abuse.

There's a lot of money to be saved buying band saw blades in a coiled band and making them up yourself. Snapping the blade takes some practice and can be done on old blades although I know one who simply clamps it square in his vice and give it a sharp hit with a ball-peen hammer. 5 seconds per end on the bench grinder, a wipe with MEKP to rid the oil and you are ready. I generally prepare a few blades at a time to save set up time.

I must admit, however, that I've been experiencing sticker shock these last few days surfing the Internet for 131.5" blades for the 17" Grizzly Band saw. Bimetalic or carbide tipped blades average about $75 EACH!

Obviously the incentive to buy bulk coils and make 'em myself grew dramatically when I saw the cost of individual blades. The downside is that at the rate I use them up, I will not likely live long enough to use up a coil of one type blade, much less several. Then why go to the expense?

Simple. When I am creating something, I refuse to be hindered or distracted by minutia. Second, I'm at the age where I view my time as more valuable than money. I can always make more money.

What I would enjoy is seeing some suggestions for a vendor of quality saw blade coils.

Thanks to all who responded.

Art