Thread: which radial arm saw should I keep?

which radial arm saw should I keep?

For some reason I am the proud owner of two radial arms saws. (Don't ask how I got to own two, but I do admit, greed was involved.) One is the 12 inch Delta turett model just like Norm uses. The other is a 10 inch Dewalt GW. Both are fine mechanically. Both seem quite solid. I need to get rid of one. Which one should I keep? Help please.

Dave Loebach

So I need you to go cut some boards, which one would you go to first?

The answer to the question is the one you should keep.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    GW ..................................But send me the Delta

JEFF

Tough one. I am a hardcore DeWalt RAS fan (and owner), but I'd probably opt to keep the bigger saw, or the one in better condition. Of course if they both do the same job for you, or have the same cross cut, I'd probably sell the one you expect will yield the highest price, use the proceeds to buy something else you can use, and keep the other in service. Don't know why but I'd guess the delta might be a quicker sell? If thick stock is your thing, then possible the one with the greatest depth of cut, which I'd guess would again be the delta, should be the keeper?

Can't you modify one of the saws to be a router carriage? You could spend your time doing that instead of doing woodworking. Meta-woodworking, which is using tools to work on tools for woodworking is a much more noble occupation that ordinary woodworking.

If you can and have the room, you should keep both. Put a dado on the Dewalt permently and use the Delta for everything else.

My vote goes for "keep the Delta." but I'm prejudiced, as I own a Delta. What I really like is the 5/8" arbor, which allows me to use my dado set, 10" blades, or 12" blades, if I need the depth of cut. I also own several of the older Craftsman model 100's. So I have at least two RAS's in my shop. I use the Craftsman to break down lumber to length, and Delta for every thing else. My opinion and fifty five cents will get you a senior coffee at Mickey D's, but be sure and have two quarters, and a nickle in your pocket when you go.

Dave, do you live close to me. I hope so if you get rid of the Delta! I want one - actually I want the 29" crosscut 14" or 16"

That is my dream RAS! I am patient. Would you believe I missed a 14" Delta one - it sold for $107.50. I am sick over that.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I dunno, I have most everything in my shop except a RAS or Mitre Saw. The shop I have access to has an old Dewalt RAS. Absolutely beautiful machine. Old. Motor spins for 12 minutes after power off. Can cut 2 2x4s on momentum alone. If that is the DW you have, and you happen to live near me, I can assure you the Delta is a better machine and I would be happy to sacrifice some $$ to mend your conundrum.

Mike

With the decision your facing I cannot picture a win/win choice from your offerings. I think you should bite the bullet and keep both.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Well Dave, I'm a Delta Man! Although DeWalts are fine saws, your 12" delta has the *turret-head* which allows mitering in closer quarters. It has an honest 1.5 hp motor, and if yours if the newer type, glides wayy smoothly on those steel rod tracks! Sell the Dewalt, KEEP that Delta!

And...(Edit) All controls are up front (or midway) on the Delta. Those old DeWalts with the column-raising crank at the back of the arm are sometimes almost inaccessible.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 06-17-2009 at 3:48 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

If you move the fence forward with the Delta you can make 80 degree miters in 2 by 4 material.

The choice comes down to intended use. If all you're ever going to do with the RAS is crosscutting and the odd dado, sell the Delta - but don't take less than $800 or so if it's in good shape. On the other hand, if you're willing and interested in really using the RAS to its full potential keep the Delta - the turret makes some things so much easier to setup.

Here's an example of me using my 12" turret Delta to make key slots for an already glued up miter joint.

RAS_setup.JPG

If it was me, I'd either find away to keep both or sell (or trade - maybe someone here has an old machine they don't use that you would that would be a fair trade for the DeWalt saw) the DeWalt. That 12" Delta is about the only new RAS I'd recommend to friends if they wanted to buy a new manufacture RAS.

Best of luck no matter what you end up doing!

If you sell the GW I'll buy it if you're not too far away (I'm in Pittsburgh).