Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

15 Jun 2009

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope this finds each of you safe and not having to deal with downed trees, excessive rain, storms and such. There are parts of our town that due to all the trees down and such that it looks like a war zone. Strong storms have been going through here for what seems to be daily (well, almost any way).

Been cutting up an oak tree that the ants were killing and we were afraid of dead limbs falling off the tree and killing one of the kids while mowing under the tree, so we decided to have the tree taken down for safety purposes. It's a pretty good sized tree, about 40" across the butt of the tree. The tree guy found a "steel fence post" that the tree had grown around, do the bottom 6 feet of the trunk is still on the stump for me to get down later.

I've got a lot going on at the moment, and trying to get firewood cut up and stacked as well as finishing up the American Girl doll bunk bed that I started a while back.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    15 Jun 2009

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?
    ummmm.... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114400

And my back is killing me as well!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

The LOML left me Saturday so I drove her to the Spokane airport early. Got back and took a nap. Then I began the task of removing the failed grout from the bathroom vanity counter top I tiled recently.

Sunday, I prepped and then grouted the tile top, fixed meals and did the dishes.

Rained on and off here so I'll have to mow the lawn one evening.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Even though it's late to get started a friend and I built a raised bed garden and got it entirely filled w/ soil and compost, planted, and fenced on Saturday.
    We are sharing the work and the food of the garden. I'm really happy with how things came out.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Blog Entries
    Despite having to work on Saturday until noon... I had a very good weekend. I finished a humidor up on Friday night - dusted it off a little Saturday morning before work and brought it in the house.

Saturday, after work.... we attended our annual neighborhood barbecue... socializing and meeting some of the new neighbors and most of the old ones.... after the party, I was so full of food that I just relaxed the rest of the night.

Sunday.... I had a very productive day in the shop. I started on a keepsake box for my niece's wedding photography biz.... I have her sample coming off the bench first.... then I still have a couple of months to do the one that she's already sold for me.... I got the box put together with the splines glued in and the thin strips cut up and glued together for the border of the lid.... I get to take them out of their coccoon tonight and clean 'em up. Should be fun.

Worked on the pergola I'm building for my son's wedding. I have the top and the two sides made now, and I need to paint them, then drill the holes to bolt it all together. It has to remain in three pieces for transport.

Ken, it sounds like you left her... at the airport!! But I know how you feel. Glenna left Thursday am right after I left for work, and won't get back from Houston until after lunch today. I hate it when she's gone.
    I took off Friday, mostly just bummed around the house because the yard was so wet from the rains last week. I did pick up dead fall from the front yard. Mowed Sat am even though it was still a little wet. Got cleaned up and ran some errands. Ended up at Woodcraft for the Kreg Demonstration. Didn't add much to my knowledge base. They had about 15 there for the demo, which I thought was good. The guy that checked me out with my 2 drill press clamps and I got to talking. There was mention of no alcohol when he was in Saudi Arabia. I mentioned my brother was there for a few years, asked him who he worked for...ARAMCO...same company as my brother worked for. He asked my brother's name, I said David, he said "I know Dave!" They went over at the same time, worked in the same section. Pretty interesting.
    Pulled the carb from the riding lawn mower. Sunday rebuilt the carb, still didn't help. Won't start with air breather on, and seems to run rich. After that, pretty much rested. Have a great week! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I built an enclosure around one of my drain pipes to keep the dogs from digging at it. Rabbits or some other kind of critter apparently like to take up residence in the drain and the dogs smell them. Now, I have to figure out how to keep the rabbits out of the drain.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Two very large open houses for graduates. 4 hours Saturday and 4 hours Sunday. One more next weekend.
    Had my first taste of roasted/smoked whole pig. It was roasted/smoked for around 12 hours in a converted fuel oil tank over great smelling wood coals. It was some of the tenderest and best tasting meat I have ever had. (the wood smoke makes this fit in the woodworking category)
    David B

I guess smoking ribs with some cherry wood counts as using wood then. I got to eat good and watered the gardens, finished a picture frame and top for a cabinet for the sister in law. I even managed to show up for work both sat and sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    15 Jun 2009

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope this finds each of you safe and not having to deal with downed trees, excessive rain, storms and such. There are parts of our town that due to all the trees down and such that it looks like a war zone. Strong storms have been going through here for what seems to be daily (well, almost any way).
    Dennis, I was on the edge of one of those storms on Friday afternoon! I was on I-40 around Clarksville when it hit - cars lined up alongside the highway, high winds that shook the car, and rain so hard that I couldn't see the front end of my car. There was a lot of damage in Fort Smith and Van Buren that I saw when I came through there, but amazingly, no accidents along the interstate!

Got home Saturday afternoon after another 1200 miles of driving from Tennessee, relaxed all day yesterday to recuperate, and am hard on the engraving today - four jobs waiting for me!

Have a good week, everyone.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Mucho equestrian activities this past weekend, including a fund raiser for Rhett Syndrome, which two of our barn owner's grandchildren have. And...I finally got to mow the grass after over three weeks of rain precluding it. Well, most of the grass. There are some areas that resemble the Everglades and there was no way I was going to take the ZTR through them! Oh, I cleaned the master bathroom, too. No woodworking, despite the growing "list" if things I need to do...including cutting up ANOTHER cherry tree that fell all by itself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...