Thread: Sigh..

Sigh..

Hi all, another question, for this here techno-idiot.
    I have an new fax/scan/laser printer (HPM1319 MFP), connected to my laser engraving computer by USB.
    My epilog is hooked up by ethernet.
    I have a dedicated fax line.
    I had no problems, until I used the epilog.
    The fax had quit receiving. It would send, scan, copy stuff as normal, but wouldn't receive. I didn't even notice.
    I've tweaked the fax again this morning. It's receiving again.
    Once I turn on my epilog, I just know the issue will re-surface. (I'm psychic).
    When I used the epilog, I did notice the first job didn't go to the laser. I had to re-select my epilog as the printer.
    Makes sense.
    But by doing so, I think I'm kicking the fax off....
    Oye.
    I wish I hadn't decided to quit coffee.

Off to look at default settings again.
    Thanks for any/all suggestions.
    I need to boot Abigail (epilog legendEXT 60 watt) up.

And of course, thanks to Frank and all of you brilliant people on the Creek.
    I've been lurking more. Questions are usually answered in the searches.
    Wax on, wax off.

The Creek Rules!

Blog Entries
    These days, USB drivers are one of the most difficult drivers to do properly... it's easy to make them work for 98% of the cases out there, but all it takes is those 2% to make things go South in a hurry. In my years of programing, I have seen very few USB interfaces (drivers and hardware) that work without fail.

Consider an issue where one USB driver is taking control from another...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Barb,

Try rebooting the computer to reset the USB assignments.

If you just added the printer, you should install the driver BEFORE hooking up the printer to the PC. If you did not do it this way, you should uninstall the driver/software and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Consider an issue where one USB driver is taking control from another...
    In my experience, HP are particularly overbearing with their drivers. They assume they are to be the only print device.

As has been suggested, unplug all USB printers and remove all drivers. Reboot and then install software for the laser first then the HP. Shut down and plug in the printers but with both turned off. Boot and when stable turn on the laser and let the USB hook to it, then turn on the HP, same, same.

Finally go into Control Panel, Printers and check which is assigned as the default printer and if it is not the HP then make it the default.

When you want to send to the laser you will *always* have to select the printer driver first otherwise it will go to the defualt HP.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

What if I just unplug the USB cable when I'm using the engraver? Will that hurt anything?
    That way the fax could continue to receive it's useless bits and pieces of paper?
    or set it to receive into the computer....
    yeah, that's it.

sorry, thinking out loud.
    Thanks for the neuronal awakenings.
    as always.

The Creek Rules!

Blog Entries
    Barb,

Unplugging may work, though it's certainly not an ideal solution. You have nothing to lose by trying it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    In my experience, HP are particularly overbearing with their drivers. They assume they are to be the only print device.
    I agree, this has been an issue with HP since the beginning of time. At least until I stopped paying attention to such things several years back, they made some of the best printers for print quality, but it often required 3rd-party drivers to pull that quality out from the hidden recesses. they were always good at build quality and capabilities, but sucked at driver design.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Macdonald View Post
    The fax had quit receiving. It would send, scan, copy stuff as normal, but wouldn't receive. I didn't even notice.
    Barb,

Excuse me if I'm being too basic, but you do know how to set your default printer, right? Sounds to me like you have the default printer set to your "all in one" HP.

If you send Epilog data to that system is has the right to be confused.
    Assuming FAX reception is important to your business, you may want to make your Epilog the default printer since you'll get a warning in the LED if you send unintended info to it.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Barb,

If I understand your problem, the fax will not receive once you fire your laser?

I fixed phones at the Sony Service Center in Philly for a year and saw some strange things.

I am going to go in a whole different direction with the troubleshooting since others have touched on the USB selection issues.

Ground Loop or Grounding Issues.

First get one of the little outlet testers with the 3 lights that tells you if your outlets are wired correct and have a good ground.

Test the main outlet and all power strips.

If a plug has a grounding prong be sure it is plugged into a grounded outlet.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Thanks, guys.
    Yup, just need to unplug the USB to the HP printer when I'm using the laser. Fax receives fine. I just can't print anything while I'm lasering, which is good.
    I'm easily distracted...

have a great week!