Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted Red Oak HF - all critiques welcome

Spalted Red Oak HF - all critiques welcome

This is approximately 7 1/4" X 3 3/4" with a 1 3/4" opening. The opening is a little large. Hopefully, the openings on the next ones will get smaller as I gain experience and confidence with hollow forms. I rough turned it green with a scraper and a Sorby midi Hollowmaster which was really too small for the task. I finished turned after a few months with my new set of 1/2" John Jordan tools. It is finished with Antique Oil.

I am still struggling with the photography. I think I am getting the exposure right but still had to use software to fix the contrast as the originals all were a little washed out. Maybe from light flare? I am using Jamie Donaldson's Phrugal Photo Studio witha Halogen shoplight. I set the custom white balance using a white card as I do not have a phto grey card.

All comments and suggestions on the HF or photography are welcome. Looking to improve technique on both.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God is great and life is good!

Mike, love the wood!

I think the size of the opening fits the style of the form. This has a southwest feel to it and if you look at actual pottery from that region you will find most of the openings are fairly large so as to be functional.

I find the shoulder area to have a fairly sharp angle - no problem if that was your intended design... I did notice what looks to be a variation in the outside curve - halfway between the shoulder and the foot - see photo below. That may just be a optical illusion ... Also, the lip is abrupt and does not continue the curve of the turning. Not a problem - just one of those things that I try to notice in my turnings and is just my opinion.

On the photo side of things - cropping a photo can direct the viewer's attention towards the subject or redirect to another area that you wish to highlight. In the photo below I cropped so as to center the turning. You have to decide if it works better for you or not.

100_0020 +2 modified.jpg

Just personal opinion but I think your lighting is to strong and as such washes everything out. You could try under-exposing your photos a little and see if that makes a difference. I adjusted the color and touched the focus a little - just to show some options you can consider next time - again - if you think it helps. If not.... no problem.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like the orientation

of the wood in the form. I have had a bunch of spalted red oak but have never tried a HF with that orientation. RO is a bit of a beating to turn so I have usually turned NE to get the spalted rolling rim effect.

My last piece is already committed to being a 15" wide bowl...bummer.

bowl

That is a very beautiful bowl. I do not turn but maybe in my next life.

Forms looks pretty good, like Steve pointed out there is that one spot that doesnt look consistent. Finish is nice though. Photos seem a little bright but otherwise they look good. Love the wood to.

Nice work Mike. I have aroughed HF very similar to that but Silver Maple. I can't wait for it to dry so finish it. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Kirk
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Steve, thanks so much for taking the time to offer your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I find the shoulder area to have a fairly sharp angle - no problem if that was your intended design...
    It was my intended design but will compare with some others to see if I should change in the future.

I find the shoulder area to have a fairly sharp angle - no problem if that was your intended design... I did notice what looks to be a variation in the outside curve - halfway between the shoulder and the foot - see photo below. That may just be a optical illusion ... Also, the lip is abrupt and does not continue the curve of the turning. Not a problem - just one of those things that I try to notice in my turnings and is just my opinion.
    Yup, this variation should not have been there. And I agree a softer curve on the lip would be an improvement.

On the photo side of things - cropping a photo can direct the viewer's attention towards the subject.
    I will need to watch the centering more closely when I make the picture to avoid the need for cropping.

Just personal opinion but I think your lighting is to strong and as such washes everything out. You could try under-exposing your photos a little and see if that makes a difference. I adjusted the color and touched the focus a little - just to show some options you can consider next time - again - if you think it helps. If not.... no problem.
    Wow, if you think the light washes it out on this shot, you should have seen it before I used MS Picture Manager to increase the contrast! I took a shot with each exposure setting available and picked the best one. I think if I move the backdrop back a foot it might help. I think I am getting some flare causing it to wash out. I am going to try and find someone locally to help me with the photography.

That's a great looking piece, Mike. I rather like the sharp corners (I use that form a lot) the upright lip and the size of the opening. Too small of an opening just does not look right to me...maybe because I always seek function in a piece.

The orientation of the spalting on the top of the piece looks good, too.

I do agree about the inconsistent curve in the form but that is not immediately recognizeable.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I like it all!

Mike, I am partial to turning red oak so you had me there! The spalting on the top like that is very nice. The shape is always up to the designer and the buyer, I for one like this a lot. On the pictures try reflecting some light back with a piece of white poster board or something. If you have the light facing away from the piece and reflect it back with the paper it will light that front bottom area. I have been messing around with reflected light and it helps on this type of turning or on shallow plates and platters. Keep at it and every one will be a reflection of your personal insight.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Really nice piece. I really like how the spalting is almost all above the peak of the form's curve. Did you do that on purpose, or did it just turn out that way?

Great looking piece Mike. Steve already hit the point I was going to bring up.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful piece of wood and very nice shape!

photo tips

check out these super cheap and simple photo tips! Link

I really likr the form and the wood is great!

Mike,
    This is a really nice looking Hollow Form. I think the form is a real classic and the color of the wood on the top portion really sets the tone for this one. Very well done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gastfriend View Post
    Really nice piece. I really like how the spalting is almost all above the peak of the form's curve. Did you do that on purpose, or did it just turn out that way?
    I did it on purpose .