Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tempered, beveled glass engraving

tempered, beveled glass engraving

i know i prob did not spell all of that right but oh well.

ok so i was asked to start playing with glass and the laser i have a few hundred pieces of scrap glass and wanted to know if anyone has any settings or things they do to it that they like......

is there something i can rub over it to fill the part that is engraved?

will tempered glass shatter if i try to engrave it?

how deep should i go to make it look good?

do you mirror the image for best results?

thank you
    epilog legendEXT 120watts 36x24, corel x4, ps cs3, photograv 2.11

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet.

There are many different threads on engraving glass do a search and you should find all of the information you seek
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Blog Entries
    Devon,

You won't get much depth at all, but you can colorfill with a lot of things (paint, Rub'n'Buff, etc.). You shouldn't have a problem with tempered glass. Mirroring is up to you and will depend upon the application... for thin glass I'd etch on the front, for thicker stuff I'd etch on the back.

For glass you'll want to go relatively slow with a lot of power. You have a hefty laser, so you could get away with a much faster scan... try 100S/85P as a starting point, but you may end up increasing the power.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I love glass! It doesn't go very deep, but I don't have a laser as powerful as yours. I use lots of power with lower speed. I always try to etch the glass from the back. It gives it a much nicer look in my opinion. Naturally, glasses and bottles can't be etched from the inside. Keep in mind, we've found out by trial and error. You can buy blank glass from a local home builders supply, i.e. Home depot or any glass shops. I don't know about tempered glass. Never tried it.
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

thanks for the help i ran one piece and you are right it does not go that deep i will do some more today and see what i can come up with thanks again

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet.

i had one question is seems like when i laser glass it comes shows up kinda grainy is there a way to make it more smooth (did that make sense)

grainy

I find that using plain dish soap smeared over the image area improves the image quality a lot..

do a test:
    laser the following words: use different fonts and sizes, bold, italic::
    Plain
    Wet Paper
    Soapy paper
    Soap

use a piece of glass for each of the above and compare the results. Once you have a look you like, play with power and speed..

If I want depth, I use laser mask and sandblast. This removes the graininess and gives enough of an indent for the RnB or other fill to stick to the glass..

CAUTION! going too deep on tempered glass could cause it to do what it is supposed to do: BREAK into small pieces.. Should not happen in the laser but CAN happen if sandblasted too aggressively...

good luck, nancyB
    Xenetech xlt1325,
    Corel 13,
    Rayzist 2034 blastcabinet

When i do any kind of glass/crystal i use 20 speed / 85 power / 400 dpi / 50% black...glass does no chip...i am using a 45 watt TT by epilog 12x24

Blog Entries

Smile why 50

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Williams View Post
    When i do any kind of glass/crystal i use 20 speed / 85 power / 400 dpi / 50% black...glass does no chip...i am using a 45 watt TT by epilog 12x24
    phyllis... or anyone else ...can you tell me why you use 50% black...thanks

Blog Entries
    Dale,

You're going to need some experimentation time to find what works best for you. The point of engraving black in something lower than 100% is to prevent large portions of the glass from being zapped. By reducing the black level, you are forcing the engraver to make a halftone, thereby spreading the dots (and therefore the heat) into a wider area. When you hit the sweet spot, the image will look better than if you had run at 100%. Most here would say they run theirs at 70%-90%, but if 50% works for Phyllis then so be it... it will also depend on your substrate, and tempered glass will require a different black level than soda glass for the highest quality engraving.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Another important note as to glass settings, relates to what type of image you are etching. I would say that most of the posts here on the creek are for logos and text. More specifically, most setting referenced are NOT for photos. When you laser a photo you will have to use lower resolution and/or power so as not to overdrive the image.
    Jack

thanks for that explanation Dan,
    very well said...i could'nt have said it any better...actually i read about the 50% black and i tried it...and it works real well for me...the etched part is very smooth and no chipping....
    Last edited by Phyllis Williams; 06-29-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Very informative thread. I never thought to use any other color than black.

I use unused newspaper (we are next to the local newspaper and they give us the rolls of paper that they can't use because there's not enough material to do a full paper run with) soaked for a few seconds in water....does dish soap really help or is it the same effect as water on paper?

I've beening doing glass for awhile now and when i first started out i was taught to use wet paper towels and that is just to time consuming when you have a large job...so i started playing and doing reseach and read about the 50% black and that is something that works for me and never had any problems. as for the soap i find that is just to messy

I prefer Dish Soap because I can rarely get all of the wrinkles out of paper & that can ruin a job real fast. The other problem I've had with paper is it moving on the rotary rollers - which can also lead to wrinkles and tearing of the paper.
    Dish Soap is a no-brain (for me)
    Wipe it on - Engrave - Wash - Done.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC