Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone compared jorgensen to bessey I-beams

Blog Entries

Anyone compared jorgensen to bessey I-beams

Just curious on these clamps....

I have been using exclusively Bessey clamps, and have about 60 of them in various sizes. I do not own, nor have used any Jorgensen's so take the following information as me repeating what others have told me.

I know two different woodworkers that had mixed clamps. The first guy wanted to get rid of his Jorgensen's. He said that the bar got small burrs on it every time he clamped with it. Then that burr would mark up his work the next time he used the clamp. The second guy hated his Bessey's. He said that he got tired of having to clean the glue off the bars so they would work.

The answer was simple. I brokered a deal where they simply traded clamps. Both got what they wanted and I was able to purchase a couple of Bessey clamps at a bargain.
    Wood'N'Scout

Funny you ask. One of my contractors stopped in the shop to pick up some finished product. We got talking, and we got on the subject of clamps, and Jorgensen going out. He has a colleague who has a part time shop who has the Bessey's. They both give them high marks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I have been using exclusively Bessey clamps, and have about 60 of them in various sizes. I do not own, nor have used any Jorgensen's so take the following information as me repeating what others have told me.

I know two different woodworkers that had mixed clamps. The first guy wanted to get rid of his Jorgensen's. He said that the bar got small burrs on it every time he clamped with it. Then that burr would mark up his work the next time he used the clamp. The second guy hated his Bessey's. He said that he got tired of having to clean the glue off the bars so they would work.

The answer was simple. I brokered a deal where they simply traded clamps. Both got what they wanted and I was able to purchase a couple of Bessey clamps at a bargain.
    Does this apply to the "I-Beam"?

Blog Entries
    I know the value of the Jorgensen. But have never used the Bessey......
    0b929656-cc0e-46a4-9052-17163e4a776c_1.f75be795d8319922aa9c7ec08e632095.jpeg

I have never seen them in person. I have a lot of Jorgys, and the only thing I see that may be different is the bar. As you know you have to block up the wood so you don't get black marks at the glue line, if the Besseys cure that it would be nice. Not the end of the world nice,, just nice.

I use mostly K bodies as I can run them with one hand and they are just better, until you are gluing up a 3" thick door with long tenons, and then the I-beams best be close at hand. Of course if I was a better woodworker I would not need stronger clamps.

Blog Entries
    We make a lot of things up to 5 1/2 thick and is killing pipes....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't compare the two, as I only have the Jorgy I-beams. I rarely use them because they are very heavy and do stain if they touch the glue line, and generally reach instead for my Jorgy cabinet master k-body clamps. If you need something powerful and durable, however, they fit the bill. They will outlast you.

I don't have experience with Bessey I-beams but I've broken a few pipe clamps (they usually break at the head where the thread starts). The I-beams *should* be stronger on that point but I have also had a Bessey pipe clamp break the threads in the cast Iron (these always happened when the glue-up/piece was big/complicated and the glue started setting before I could tighten all clamps).

Blog Entries
    That's the problem... I never hear anything on the Bessey I-beam's. With Jorgensen out of the picture it's getting confusing on actual Bessey I-beam reviews..

Does one pay the high price to get now used Vintage jorgy I-beam's or are the Bessey's as good?

I have thought about getting some good pipe clamps and tig welding DOM CrMo tubing to them, but I wonder if the clutches would hold? Would be light, less prone to stain, and stronger than crap steel pipe. If you eliminated the threads by welding that stress riser at the end of the threads is gone, but the stuff is hard so not sure if it would work.

Reviews can be problematic- everyone's opinion of good is different. Find a reputable seller, order 1 or a pair, and assess yourself. If not up to snuff, a reputable seller will definitely take them back and credit you.
    Time and again, I have found it best to skip most reviews and examine the goods with no tainted opinions that are probably based on a different use or need than your shop.

I have 18 jorgenson I beam clamps. A thought, why not just take a can of aluminum paint and run a stripe down the top of the I beam. It is the reaction of the glue with the steel that causes the stain, and maybe a little paint would prevent it? Oxalic acid will remove the stain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Reviews can be problematic- everyone's opinion of good is different. Find a reputable seller, order 1 or a pair, and assess yourself. If not up to snuff, a reputable seller will definitely take them back and credit you.
    Time and again, I have found it best to skip most reviews and examine the goods with no tainted opinions that are probably based on a different use or need than your shop.
    When I say "review" it generally means on a professional level. That's why i don't buy parallel clamps....

Well, not being snobby or insulting, but this forum is made up of a vast majority of home shop/hobby people. There are a very small handful of us that have to make a living off this as an occupation. Of course, some of the hobbiests have the time and energy to dig deeper into the nuances of this or that tool, rather than sticking to the "get er done" that most of us want in the trade.
    I deal with a company called Select Machinery most of the time when I need Bessey stuff, and they have told me if it doesn't work, or I don't like the way it works, that they will take it back.